The camp Kharzi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
If I'm going to be there for some time and er indoors is coming with me I take a couple of windbreaks for walls, a tarp for a roof and an NHS commode minus pot and site it over a trench or hole dug for the occasion. a small shovel left to cover the "leftovers" from the spoil heap what I call a luxury Eartha Kitt setup. When just out alone for a couple of night I just hug a tree.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Recycled bog paper....

I wonder how they clean it and glue the sheets back together.....

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
I use the dig a 6" hole, burn the paper method but the thread reminded me of a story a builder friend told me:

Back in the days of Foot and Mouth his boss sent him and his team to work on a farm outbuilding. They had to dress up in the one-piece white paper hooded suits and walk their wellies through the disinfectant and all that. The building was in the middle of nowhere and when one of the team was caught short he was directed to the nearest hedgerow. After performing the task he returned to work but not long after everyone began to notice the strange smell emanating from him. Closer inspection revealed a still steaming turd nestling peacefully in the hood of his suit...

that reminds me of a story my dad told me about when he was on site back in the day. the toilet facilities on this particular site consisted of an eight foot deep hole with a plank spanning it with a hole in the middle. the whole thing was covered with a workmans tent. there was an apprentice on the site who used to arrive at work and then spend 15 minutes reading his paper on the throne every morning. after a while and some warnings the foreman had had enough. he arrived early one morning and took his saw into the loo. he cut the plank halfway through from the bottom and then put it back in place. when the guy arrived everyone waited til he went into the tent and then crowded round. after a minute or so they heard a SNAP! and then the sound of him falling waist deep into the sh*t pit. poor sod had to cycle 3 miles home to get washed and changed :) that'll learn him.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
simple really, depending on company take a walk, or not. strip a small branch ot two of its leaves, or moss, grass. heel out a decent scrape and do the deed, push soil over with foot tread it and finally kick ground debri over spot. no drama just utilise what nature provides :)

Genty

Tenderfoot
This is a 'good' book; I had no idea how involved taken a poo in a room with a view could be! It is pretty detailed and includes everything from dealing with being 'caught short' while out for an afternoon stroll through to setting up latrines on a 3 month base camp. Ironically it is also one of those books that is best kept in the Thunder Box at home for some light entertainment!

How to .... in the Woods

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This is a 'good' book; I had no idea how involved taken a poo in a room with a view could be! It is pretty detailed and includes everything from dealing with being 'caught short' while out for an afternoon stroll through to setting up latrines on a 3 month base camp. Ironically it is also one of those books that is best kept in the Thunder Box at home for some light entertainment!

How to .... in the Woods

The second volume - about how things can go wrong (fermenting "groovers" etc) is even better...if you have a strong stomache!

I found out in Ghana that the trad "pace wide trench and backfill" method is not very good in sand...the sides of the trench collapse too easily funneling your feet into the bottom of the freshly decorated trench...... not to mention allowing you to seriously lose balance ...just hope that folk used enough backfill to cover their deposits....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So I get the whole dig hole and drop load bit but what if you get caught short or have run out of bog roll?

Duck out of sight, bang a hole in the ground with your heel, do wahat you need, clean up with leaves (not nettles) or moss then use your boot to push soil, leaves etc over the doings, put a couple of stones or sticks over the site to inhibit accidental discoveries...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Sorry to reply to an old thread but I was taught in the Scouts (before I was kicked out) that you should put a St. Andrews Cross made from sticks over buried poo.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I don't know where I heard this, but I thought a key thing was to dig a shallow hole (eg Less than 6 inches) so that after you had burned the toilet paper and covered it up with soil, then the bacteria in the soil could decompose said droppings in a matter of a few weeks. Holes deeper than this meant the bacteria were not present, could not decompose the droppings and so they would stay around for much longer.

Any clarification much appreciated

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
My little story concerning A tom tit. back in the day when I was in the mob we would call it a "shovel recce" so my mate says "I'm off for a shovel recce" so as he goes I get up and follow him. He finds the right tree and kit down carries out his duty. meanwhile I have placed a shovel directly beneath the DEED and steal it. Am off pretty quiet. well we all know when we've gone we like to have a look in case you have given birth or something. The strange look and search for it, him telling us the story and saying it could be somewhere in his trousers but no it vanished Haha it really can't disappear.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I don't know where I heard this, but I thought a key thing was to dig a shallow hole (eg Less than 6 inches) so that after you had burned the toilet paper and covered it up with soil, then the bacteria in the soil could decompose said droppings in a matter of a few weeks. Holes deeper than this meant the bacteria were not present, could not decompose the droppings and so they would stay around for much longer.

Any clarification much appreciated

I was always taught more than 6 inches. I did read somewhere that burning the paper chars the deposit and speeds up the decomposition but I don't know if that is right. I have also always heard that just putting a rock on top slows the breakdown because the bacteria can't get all round it without it being buried and thus surrounded by soil (that and it's just horrid if the rock gets disturbed by someone).

My wife has just said it is probably just 3 inches but men just think that's what 6 inches looks like.:lmao:

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Duck out of sight, bang a hole in the ground with your heel, do wahat you need, clean up with leaves (not nettles) or moss then use your boot to push soil, leaves etc over the doings, put a couple of stones or sticks over the site to inhibit accidental discoveries...

This is my preffered method.

I don't wan't to carry a wee shovel or bog roll. When your boot or a stick with some vegitation to clean up will work. .

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
My little story concerning A tom tit. back in the day when I was in the mob we would call it a "shovel recce" so my mate says "I'm off for a shovel recce" so as he goes I get up and follow him. He finds the right tree and kit down carries out his duty. meanwhile I have placed a shovel directly beneath the DEED and steal it. Am off pretty quiet. well we all know when we've gone we like to have a look in case you have given birth or something. The strange look and search for it, him telling us the story and saying it could be somewhere in his trousers but no it vanished Haha it really can't disappear.

You sir, are a liar.

:eek::lmao:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
It's actually much better to bag it, tie two tight knots in the neck of the bag and when you get the chance place it in your buddy's bergan... :D

Snigger...

Liam

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset

So, it was you that did it. I heard someone had in Sennelager, oh and Salisbury Plain, Brecons, Otterburn, Norway, Belize, Thetford, Kenya, Canada and anywhere else the Army train!

I also heard from 101 varying sources that someone was using one of those oil drum toilets on one of the big ranges in Germany when their mate pushed a thunderflash underneath the bottom of it!

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Apparrantly, and I have never tested this theory, if you put a generous smear of vaseline around your ringer just before you download, there is no need to wipe as the vaseline kind of does the job for you.

I might try it later, we have some vaseline. I'll report back, unless anyone knows.

If you do take this approach, may I suggest, as a nurse, that you do not subsequently apply it to your lips to prevent chaffing with the same finger? Public health statement over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE