the bushcraft show 2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
If anyone is up for a bit of kit swapping we will have all our spare stuff and some relevant books too.
Looking for leather,other books or interesting stuff.
Look for the very orange Msr ridge tent & that will be me and ninja jr.Come and say Hi anytime Thursday onwards.
Cheers , Simon.
PS I'm trying to get some sodabread kits together.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At shows like this it's usually easier to just arrange a time when everyone's likely to want a coffee break and suggest a time and place..............like you could all wander back to Lurch's stall at a quiet time ? or drift somewhere for lunch ?

cheers,
M

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hat...check
Green rucksac...check
Knife...check
Red carnation...I'll pick that upon the way:rolleyes:

See you there guys...

I'm aiming to pitch up in plot 17 if anyone wants to join me for a wee dram around the fire.

Simon

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Perhaps the organisers might consider awarding prizes for the visitors sporting the best home-spun and designer bushcraft uniforms? Maybe even a third category for those who simply can’t leave home without an RM label!

Might be a close run thing though so best breakout those tweed-gusseted undergarments you’ve been putting off beating into submission!

Cheers

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I am going up first thing tomorrow with my son, I will be the one with the one with the burnt bald head if this sunshine keeps up ( note to self remember to take the Tilly)
Looking forward to meeting people

S

sccadmin

I'll be the one with the car loads of kit trying to accommodate myself, my wife, my daughters and my son, not exactly light weight wild camping, more heavy weight family comfort! The shame :)

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I dropped in at the show today for a mooch round and realised that…..
I don't have enough camo gear, I don't have enough knives, I don't have enough facial hair….and I haven't eaten enough pies :lmao:

May 17, 2011
Lancashire
Spent the day at the show today and I can only conclude that I obviously don't own enough Knives, Axes etc.

The highlight of the day was John "Lofty" Wiseman's talk this afternoon - what a treat.

Nick

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
yeah i was there all weekend it was good apart from the hog roast fiasco? lofty was very entertaining and ian maxwell was good too. Watched Ben orford do the pole lathes and woodlifes makers doing all sorts with wood. Also watched a bowdrill demo and shot a few arrows. I enjoyed it the only downer was the lack of eateries in that you couldn't buy any uncooked meats for the BBQ and well it was the cafe or stuff at camp other than that it was good especially the weather on friday saturday. Oh and i spend alot lol got my billy can set, shark tinderpouch, belgian bivi bag, wool blanket, folda cup, diamond stone, tallow candles and a machete still at least the wife cant moan at me buying another stove even if the small kelly kettle was winking at me :D

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
On the whole a good weekend I think.Ninja jr and I forged a knife on Saturday: began at three o'clock and finished around nine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Huge respect for the smith from Gransfors Bruks (Mike from Germany) for working so hard in the face of adversity.Finished with a very cool little necker which junior claims I gave to him although I don't remember that.I agree about the food.We took most of what we needed so were ok but did try the pig bap and it was mighty good.
The campsite was chaotic though : lots of lessons for the "organisers" to learn for next year.We particularly liked the Woodsmoke "Urban Bush Shelter" made from plumbing fittings and polyprop tarpaulins.Awesome effort Guys and Gals.Soda bread kits worked pretty well too so we'll try and bring some for friends next time.
Gutted we didn't catch Lofty Wiseman as we were forging our knife and no Lars Falt and no axe-forging and no Bo the canoe genius.We will be looking for a marked improvement next year.
Cheers all , Simon

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I had a cracking time. I'd never been to any of the meet ups before so wasn't sure what to expect but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Well nearly every minute. Waiting an hour and three quarters for the hog roast and then being served a burger because they'd run out was not a highlight. I should, on reflection, have not relied so heavily on the caterers. I only brought 1 pack of bacon and a couple of mars bars haha.

Huge respect for the Woodsmoke team. The many demos and talks they did were all excellent especially the Plantlore walk. The tracking masterclass with Ian Maxwell's Shadowhawk school was also fantastic.

I spent most of my pocket money at Ben and Lois Orford's place. They were tireless with their demos, I don't think I actually saw Ben not doing a demo. Got myself a hybrid hook/crook knife from him and a nice sheath from Lois who was very helpful.

The Green Outdoor tents looked superb and they are in the mix now for when I buy a Belltent for the fambo.

I'll definitely be booking for next year. I hope they sort out some better arrangements for the grub though. I'll get some pics up when I get a chance.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I thoroughly enjoyed the show and it has encouraged me to go to the moot or the wilderness gathering. This is the first time such an event has coincided with my being on holiday so I'm glad i took advantage of it.

I surprised myself by spending very little - I bought some japanese water stones and some 550 paracord. The demos were, largely, outstanding - did the plantwalk, the dawn Shadowhawk session (BRILLIANT!) loads of craft demos. Had a conoeing session - hooked! Impressed by the birds of prey show and found a little gem by accident - the lecture on the psychology of survival in disasters. Really well delivered by a young academic. Loved her conclusion - the scientific and nutritional research means that, after a disaster, what we need is a nice hot sweet cup of tea!

Met some very nice people, including the folk on the Woodlife stand - great set up, Pablo!

AND - got loads of ideas for stuff to make (which is probably why I didn't spend much money - I have a habit of looking at something and saying, "I can make that for less".)

I must have had a premonition about the food situation as I brought enough for three meals a day throughout the show (Thurs night to Sun afternoon.) As a result the whole hog roast thing passed me by completely.

I camped in the "Environmental Area" which was pretty peaceful. All in all, excellent. I'll be back next year if it coincides with the holidays again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE