The Bushcraft Magazine Shrimping day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Yesterday i attended the day Shriping and cockling course/outing ran by the Bushcraft magazine http://www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk/. Although i write when i can for the magazine my partner and I were paying punters on this weekend.

Total of about 13 turned up for the day including the organisers to darkest Kent (near Romney Marsh) for kick off at 1030. The weather was fantastic and surprisingly the beach was desolate we were very lucky. The course was run in a friendly and informal manor making those new to Bushcraft (such as my partner) feel relaxed and welcome. The day was split into 2 parts, the morning spent foraging for cockles. For those unfamilar with the signs what to look for was explained and demonstrated with everyone being able to collect enough for a meal in quick time. Lunch was provided as a gemerous mug of delicous home made soup as the cockles were put in to soak to remove grit. The afternoon was my first introduction to using a push net for shrimps. All equipment was provided and techniques shown before spliting into 2 groups. I couldnt belive the amount of shrimp we easily collected and the variety of other things in which to throw back, including loads of baby flatties and bass, 3 spined stickleback, a prawn, a plate sized flounder and other small fish and crabs. Me and the missis had a great day, good honest fun, great company and even better food at the cook up. Id certainly reckomend this day to anyone espically for couples who wives wouldnt normally get involved in the bushy side. And all for £25 :eek:

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

Last edited:

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Had potted shrimp for breakfast this morning made form th eones caught at the weekend.

Was a great day and will certainly go again next year

The process is fairly simple, the plate and of the net goes on your hip adjusting up or down so the edge of the net doesnt dig right into the sea floor and push it along across the sea from keeping at a depth just beklow the top of the back of the net. Push along the net with your hands as you pull it up to stop the shrimp being pushed out then put them in your pot

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
My grandad used to shrimp that coast - I've no idea how many shrimp sandwiches I ate as a child, but seeing that brings back a lot of happy memories :)

I must find out where I could try up here - got to be some bits of the bay which aren't too dangerous to try.

Cheers,

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
A Grand day out thanks for sharing that i love seafood just goes to show what you can drill up from the shores got to be my favourite place to get stranded lots to eat :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE