The bushcraft calender.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yggdrasil

May 18, 2005
Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
I have just been thinking about what i can do when i'm out in the woods tomorrow and it reminded me of a discussion on here where people thought about making a british bushcraft calender. It was said they would put on this calender things like when certain plants are good for eating, when the best time for collecting birch sap is etc. Unfortunatly i dont think this calender was ever made :(
Does anyone know why this brilliant idea was never done and would anyone be interested in doing one? :D
rob

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
I really think this would be commercialy viable, there's been recent talk of raising funds stands etc. Cant think of a better way whilst spreading the BCUK word.

I think W H Smiths and other chains would see the ever increasing market and show great intrest, 10 months left to organise :D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yggdrasil said:
I have just been thinking about what i can do when i'm out in the woods tomorrow and it reminded me of a discussion on here where people thought about making a british bushcraft calender. It was said they would put on this calender things like when certain plants are good for eating, when the best time for collecting birch sap is etc. Unfortunatly i dont think this calender was ever made :(
Does anyone know why this brilliant idea was never done and would anyone be interested in doing one? :D
rob

Rob,

There was indeed a thread about making such a calender, though (the latest discussion) was only regarding plants. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=10568
Main idea was to put up a list of useable / edible plants every month, so we've got in a years time a big database with lots of info.

If you give it a think, there aren't much specific bushcraft skills specified to certain months of the year.
Shelters, fire, and the like can be done through out the year, only the food part would be (as far I can see) dependable on the time of year.

Some things just don't get of the ground. The idea was to make a list every month - but people are bussy (sp?) with work, family, are out and about, etc. and they forget it. We're only human ;)
And we aren't yet in the time of year with lots of edibles, so it could that in spring it'll burst with lots of lists ;)

At the moment I'm working on a (at the moment: rough) database with edible plants, lots of work to put up (even more than the Knife Handle Encyclop.), and I want it cross-checked by several expert members before actual posting.

The database is at the moment a Powerpoint document (an example can be found in the link above, in the last post I made in it - at the end). Though I'm not sure I'll keep it this way, because I don't know if storage on the site is possible in that format (need to ask Tony about it) and what if members don't have or aren't able to run Powerpoint on their machine?

Then there is the bit of plant pictures and should we really add a medical bit in it? Could be tricky, since even messing around with medicinal plants (if you're not familiair with them) can end up with big troubles if you use wrong quantities.
What about recipes? Do you want a database that is printable or not, so you take it out with you? Or just an online resource? Is it really necessary to put a plant description in it, or will a single pic suffice?
Or is it enough to make a list with plantnames and the month you can use them?

As you can see, a lot of questions that need to be answered before something simple like a foodcalender is put up :rolleyes:

Hope that'll do for an aswer on your question mate.

I'll have a look if I can find some plants you can use at this time of the year and PM them ;) Happy days when you're out, enjoy!!

EDIT: Not found much more plants than already mentioned in the thread above. Most start in March or beyond ...

Johan

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
WHat about one where we all get naked???

COOOMMMEEEE ON! its for charity! :lmao:

for making this marvellous suggestion, I herby inform you there is no way I'm doing a month that has an R in it! :D :D :D :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE