The Bush Cooker.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Mine arrived from Backpackinglight yesterday so I've been trying it out today. As far as I can tell from pictures (and one I saw in action at the Moot), it is a Bushbuddy clone, so for the price and ease of delivery from a UK supplier, I'd recommend it over the Bushbuddy, unless you are after the ultra-light Bushbuddy Ultra.

Previous comments on the Bushbuddy probably apply, but here are a few of my first thoughts.

You do need small wood - I'd call it a twig burner. I've used up all the small stuff from my garden so I had to make some small wood from some scrap timber. As I found later, even the larger pieces here are perhaps a bit too big.

bushcooker_01.jpg

I started it with a bit of birch bark (you'll never see it in this pristine condition again!)...

bushcooker_02.jpg

...and added some more fuel once it had taken. You can see the flame shape from the secondary slots starting to appear.

bushcooker_03.jpg

I forgot to time how log it took to boil a cup of water, but it wasn't too long. I did find that the cooker seems to need fairly constant attention to keep it burning well. I'd probably say that you'd want to be using pencil sized fuel rather than finger sized, and that it ought to be topped up before the flames die down too far, but shouldn't be over-filled. I think there is going to be a bit of learning needed.

bushcooker_04.jpg

Here you can see quite well the flame shape caused by the secondary air feed.

bushcooker_05.jpg

So far it seems to be a nice luxury - a nice to have but I haven't used it enough to start raving about it.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
As an aside, Toadflax, what sort of axe is that?

I don't know - there is no maker's mark. I inherited it from my Dad when he died a couple of years ago, but I do remember it from when I was a little boy, so I reckon it must date from the 1950s or earlier. It's a really nice little axe for splitting kindling down.

Geoff

Oct 23, 2006
west midlands
Sure I'm preaching to the converted here but is that treated decking that you're using as fuel? :aargh4: The chemicals they use to treat it (tanalised timber) are pretty nasty when burnt and not a good idea to get anywhere near anything that you might want to put inside you! We have to dispose of any treated timber as hazardous waste at work and there are studies on long term health effects that made me really wary of getting anywhere near the stuff- its worse when fresh and wet but I wouldn't eat food that had been in contact- yet you can still find it being used on picnic tables! If its CCA treated then all you need to know is that the A is arsenic......:yikes:
regards
John

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Sure I'm preaching to the converted here but is that treated decking that you're using as fuel? :aargh4:
John

Thanks for pointing that out, John. All advice is good advice. It is indeed treated decking scraps though, in my defence, I only ever use the treated timber for starting a fire (adding natural wood once it is going) or for boiling. :thanks:

Geoff

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Has anyone seen/used one of these yet? I know they only got released this week but thought someone might have?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product398.asp

Yes I have one the Bushbuddy from fritz handel Canada I was lucky not to incur import duty which can be steep,, I tried to buy one from qvist but they were not doing them at the time
Great bit of kit for anyone watching the ounces when backpacking I also use mine with a trianga burner drop it in the middle works a treat if I want a quick brew

Podcast Bob

I understand tanalised wood is dipped in Cyanide, so not the most Bushcraft freindly stuff!

And yes the cooker is designed for twigs, which makes it even more flexible than trying to find thicker pieces of dried timber on sparse days. I used mine this weekend lakeside and had some freezing water boiling in about 10 minutes. Mind you it was very cold!

Podcast Bob

New video relating to the Bush Cooker now up on The Outdoors Station and You Tube.

Hope it helps inspire a few ideas ....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qBWLlgJD2Ec&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qBWLlgJD2Ec&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Looks a good design, but seems some what limited if you can only burn twigs, will it not take/consume larger pieces once its burning ?.

I feel that finger thick pieces should be able to be burnt once the stove is going to give a more constant heat when cooking, or is it just meant for a for a quick brew, and if so then the nead to constantly feed it for a prolonged period is'nt needed. But i would of thought something such as this should be able to cook for a weekend at least.

Podcast Bob

Woof and Zammo. Of course bigger broken sticks can be burned in the stove if it didn't have the top grate in, so it would act more like a small brazier, if you will. I've done it and it works well for the social side of life ;-))

The stove can be used to cook food in pans etc. In fact I used it to roast chestnuts on the top grill the other day, which worked a treat. Bannock bread also works very well once you get a good bed of embers underneath.

The stove has just had a really good review along with the Bush Cooker in the latest issue of Bushcraft Magazine, so have a look in there for more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Zammo said:
Is it possible to use the Bush Cooker to cook food on or is it limited to just boiling water?

I use my Bushbuddy as my main camping stove and cook all sorts on it - from my morning porridge to my cup of cocoa last thing at night. Not as controllable as a gas canister stove but probably more than a Trangia - you just let it brtn down a bit of suspend the pot to simmer.

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
You can also control the heat by what you add to burn. Lots of small dry twigs will burn hot. I have a bushbuddy and you can get a decent simmer heat going by building up a bed of embers and then adding a singe large peice of wood at a time.

If I have one word of advice for these types of stove which are excellent by the way is get enough fuel. When you have a small pile ready stop, get more and make it a large pile. !

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
do you think it's better than a kelly kettle?
i'm in the market for a wood burner, and can't decide between the 2

I have the bushcooker and in combination with a light pot (e.g. Primus litech) you'll have anything you need for a liter (plus: cook with it and save a lot of space compared to the kelly). It all nests wonderfully and you can also use trangia burner (nests as well) for a quick brew.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE