The "British Army Hammock stretcher Lightweight" info thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
The "British army Hammock stretcher" thread
(info about this hammock only please)
2007118104917469.jpg

1228_Hammock.jpg

AKA "Hammock SAS Stretcher" (Arktis)
AKA "SAS hammock" (silvermans)

i personally use mine as an A frame bed/ground shelterwith mozzy net attached, never as an actual hanging hammock.

What is the weight limit?
How should you tie the tapes?
what is the pocket for?
how to clean/store it?

I personally I don't find it very comfy but I know many Bushcrafters have one, and it is useful, could someone with Military jungle training enlighten us?

(yes, there are many other better hammocks on other Threads (DD, Hennesey, etc. I just can't find any info on the army one, even though it's popular)

I'll link the other threads about this hammock here:

about mods.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63465&highlight=hammock+stretcher

(I don't have an opinion of the Videos and I don't want to be in the SAS (nor would I be tough enough, lol) but it shows said item it in use.)
"A" frame beds are set up behind the people (at 1:45)...
[video=youtube;nRas99EH0IE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRas99EH0IE&feature=related[/video]

Here is the same item being used as a stretcher from the start...
[video=youtube;drH7ZxQPrY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drH7ZxQPrY8&feature=related[/video]

I can't find a clip of exactly the same hammock that Lenny Henry used on his documentary "Lenny's Big Amazon Adventure(1997)".
I vividly remember he was in the hammock...part of it broke(I assume one of the rings) and he had to re make the hammock as an "A" frame bed, in the dark!

Last edited:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Rapp, The Arktis hammock was different to the issue hammock , The Arktis job was a lot more heavy duty and was a private perchase item .
As for weights it didnt matter as jungle bayonets are lightweight racing snakes ,
bang it in the washing machine on a cool wash , drip dry
The pocket is for the Cas-vacs feet when been used in stertcher mode and for storing you wet kit in when you get your dry zoot suit on for a nice nights sleep
Hope it helps a bit

Twodogz

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Brilliant Twodogs! :D

Rapp, The Arktis hammock was different to the issue hammock , The Arktis job was a lot more heavy duty and was a private perchase item .
aaaah, I always thought is was the same item! :eek:

As for weights it didn't matter as jungle bayonets are lightweight racing snakes
Meaning you'd only have your rifle (as close as a "condom") with you in/on your hammock?

bang it in the washing machine on a cool wash , drip dry
nuff said

The pocket is for the Cas-vacs feet when been used in stertcher mode and for storing you wet kit in when you get your dry zoot suit on for a nice nights sleep
Hope it helps a bit
Twodogz

just a few "military to civi" translations, ;) :

"lightweight racing snakes" = Condoms
"Cas-vacs" = Casualty to be Evacuated
"zoot suit" = double layer Ripstop nylon "Shell suit" type outfit originally made from actual parachute material like this:
3333cw5.jpg

Cheers, question.
the loops underneath (Not the handles) is that to add "waist/leg/shoulder" straps to tie the casualty on?

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
some photo's of my hammock in different uses

poles in the sleeves for stretcher or "A" frame use
0ddcc5d7.png

hammock hung with issue insect net and issue basha
f14add5e.png

hammock hung with issue insect net and issue basha (close up of cords).
567f302f.png

view from inside the hammock (note: no spreader bars)
422aecc7.png

this is how I prefer to use it just 6" off the ground it's very comfy like a old style canvas camp bed.
(note: the stick net spreaders, and the added cords to tie net to hammock)
1b4ad942.jpg

yes, It did rain! that is water on the net.
I found out there were a few micro holes in the tarp

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE