The British army 110 L PLCE pack advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Karrimor-...ackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&hash=item19cf01f0d2

Another one here Karrimors of this vintage are really good and better than the current PRI stuff...

have fun....

That is certainly a good pack in the link, but I'd argue that the karrimor of old (which that is) is not superior to the Karrimor SF stuff that PRI make under licence. Not to be confused by the mainstream Karrimor stuff sold (and i believe owned) by the likes of Sports Direct.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks everyone fot this great info and support, and yeah I already saw some saracens, I'm gonna look into that seems like a great pack to me, by the way has anyone have any experience with the Fjällraven Kajka, that seems to be a dream pack too, yet a bummer it has no side packs.
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Ps @ Johnboy thanks for the links gonna check if there something in there for me ^^, that pre sabre seems nice, but I have a similar looking pack here also a karrimor and in my opinion it has the weight to far back making you tilt over backward to much.
ýours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Having looked around a bit I'm probably gonna save up a bit and get my self one of those Saracen's, I have found some complete packages with the two 20 L side pouches for about 130Pounds ( 150 Euro's) So figured that quite a good deal ^^. What you guys think of that
yours sincerely Ruud

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Having looked around a bit I'm probably gonna save up a bit and get my self one of those Saracen's, I have found some complete packages with the two 20 L side pouches for about 130Pounds ( 150 Euro's) So figured that quite a good deal ^^. What you guys think of that
yours sincerely Ruud

Good choice, there were a load with side pockets being sold off (used) in this country from various sellers at about £60 a few months ago. A quick look a week or so back though seems to suggest most places have sold out.

garethw

Settler
hi Ruud,
I'd suggest you look at the Dutch army packs by Lowe Alpine. I recently got the Sting, but if you want a bigger pack then the Salient is a good option. http://www.rugzak.nl/rugzak-modellen-militaire-rugzakken.php?model=50

I'm sure if you search in Dutch you'll be able to find them at a good price... I got my from the UK from a site called thexmod.com. They are excellent packs and adjustable so will better and more comfortable than the British army issue.

Cheers
Gareth

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Guys guys guys.. and Galls thank you So much I'm a 100% certain that I can get myself a toppack for a ridiculous price ^^ I found some Saracens around 120 Euro's, and even a Salient for 90 bucks yet I think that I really like the side pouches Idea/Daypack philosophy, Thanks every one a million for being so supportive in finding the right pack for me ^^
And seeing the fact I'm a Woodcrafter to the max, I will be looking into making myself a frame that is lightweight to the ridiculous amounts ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Thanks guys !!

garethw

Settler
This is the site I used... http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=11721 I couldn't find a cheaper one new and even the surplus ones were £60, so £78 was a good deal even if the shipping to France cost £20. Arrived in three days...
They have the bigger version too... But as I said, as you're in Holland, I'm sure there are surplus stores that have ex-issue packs cheaper than in the UK...

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the quality of the Lowe Apline, if you don't mind Dutch camo. They are half the price of a Karrimor SF pack.

Cheers
Gareth

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Not at all Gareth I thinks its pretty cool to be wearing my own nations camo style, Will make some entertaining misconceptions sprout ^^. being in the train people looking at you saying, hey so how's the army kinda stuff ^^
Thanks for the link and I'm currently going through the entire surplus system in holland searching for some good stores
Yours sincerely Ruud

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
That is certainly a good pack in the link, but I'd argue that the karrimor of old (which that is) is not superior to the Karrimor SF stuff that PRI make under licence. Not to be confused by the mainstream Karrimor stuff sold (and i believe owned) by the likes of Sports Direct.

Feel free to argue... The old Condor was a very good bit of kit way more fussy than say a Vulcan or crusader but pretty robust.

From experience comparing the old Karrimor products to the current sabre designs ( which are based on the old karrimor designs ) I'd say that the greatest improvement to the larger sabre sacks is the ability to zip on PLCE side pockets where the old karrimor side pockets were more complex to attach etc.

Comfort wise there is not a lot in it IMHO and the current PRI designs are equally as fussy as the old Karrimor Condor / Jaguars were.

Reasonably buying an old Condor in good nick is going to give you a excellent rucksack for most mortal load carrying and IMHO you're not compromising anything over a newer Sabre...

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
I would have to say that that I agree with pretty much all that has been said regarding the Condor.
Yes the back system it more complicated than the fixed back system of the crusader/Vulcan, but it is much more comfortable, and the capability“of the fly” adjustment means that you can adjust the fit and balance of the pack throughout the day, which means less fatigue.
The pockets are a bit more fiddly, but not too much,although I would concur the PLCE pockets are a much better option

As for comparisons with SF range, well for me, the PRI offerings are excellent well made items, of similar or equal quality to the original Karrimor items.
Some of the fabrics are updated (in less durable but more “comfortable”alternatives), but the designs are not much changed. In my experience having tried and used the Condor 60-80 extensively (I also have the optional side pockets) and had more limited use of the Sabre 60-100 (it’s a mates) I would say that although the straps are a bit more contoured, there is not much, if any thing in it. Again the material used in the back system is no where as durable as my older sac and I don’t think it would last anywhere near as long as the old timer.

I would also extend my comments to the Sabre 45 / Hot Route rucsac.
Again the newer sacs are very well made and comfortable.
The older ones are better made, in relation to durable fabrics, and I have never suffered in the comfort stakes.

Anyway, ramble over.
My only point (if any at all) is that it would be daft to disregard old Karrimor sacks in favour of the more de rigueur Crusader/Vulcan options.
The older Karrimor sacs are also available in green:cool::eek:

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
True the old Karrimor packs are great rucksacks, the problem is that though they come up for sale regulaly on eBay, most of the sellers won't post outside of the UK...so they're difficult to get hold of in mainland Europe....

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I agree, the old Karrimors are smashing bits of kit. My old Panther 65 from the early 90's has had a lot of use and would still be a main user if i hadn't of fancied a slightly bigger (and more fashionable!) pack! I saw a Scout with an identical Panther 65 to my old one this last weekend, in the same colour and everything. Mint condition- must have been in storage since 1990- i was quite envious! He didn't have a clue about it and (understandably) seemed a little confused as to my enthusiasm over his rucksack!

I have a vintage 'Hot 45' from the same era- almost identical to the Sabre 45 i have now, with the exception of not having PLCE pocket zips and being substantially smaller- i think the capacity of the earlier packs may have been overstated a little.

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
miles888 ive a short back plce bergen its bombproof vertually but way heavy, back system is ok but berghaus vulcan is better?
ive removed the front small pouch to fit a rolemat but bought a neo air inflatable mat. i used the side pouchs alone for ages then when i needed some more space out came the bergen, not completly waterproof but canvas is thick. use roletop dry sacks & ul have dry clothes (i hate damp underpants!)
modified top pouch to take m.e large first aid kit, custom sewn features

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE