The Bow Drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
I haven't tried cedar before. Therefor don't know if it works fine or not.
I have been succesfull with Willow and Birch.

It might be the case here that you have a lot of friction in your bearing block. Try a harder wood for that, lubricate it with fresh greens, or cheek a bit with a glass or -like rich59 uses- a metal ice skoop. I am quite pleased with a peice of bankirai for a bearing block myself.

You'll first need a lot of downforce to get the black dust, then lighten up the pressure and drill like your life's depending of it.

keep on going! You'll get there!

Bob

Edit: just noticed it is your first post here. Welcome to this wonderfull forum!!

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
S-T,
Hi mate and welcome to BCUK, it might be your stance or that your spindle isn't straight, I know there are a number of threads on bow drill, I seem to remember that one had pictures. I couldn't get a coal until I went on a course and was actually shown the best stance to use. Try a search mate it may reveal the gem you are looking for :D

Brian

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
silent_trapper said:
SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS. ive tried and ive tried but i still cant get it to work. ive being using cedar, for the board and the spindle. i get either a horrorible noice or a light coloured dust.
Some questions:-

How long is your bow? How thick is your cord? How thick is your spindle?

A longer bow may allow a much faster spin of the drill. This can generate much more heat and you need a lot less pressure.

Noise is an easy one - there is some irregularity between the drill tip and the bottom socket. Solve this and you should get smoother running. Wittle or sand it smooth, or try again with another drill.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The horrible noise is often caused by the hearth indentation or drill tip being too polished, I think. I've certainly found that a "close, but not quite" bowdrill attempt leaves the indentation almost glazed, which then gives you that horrible squeaking the next time you try. Try scraping that polished surface off between each attempt.

As for woods, I've been having the most success with willow for hearth and spindle, and ash for the bearing block.

Finally, as others have said - the right stance is very important.

Take heart mate - it sounds like you're about where I was a month or two ago. With a bit more practice, you'll get there in the end. I now have a set that I seem to be able to get a coal from first time, every time (bet I've just cursed myself there... ;))

I was looking at the drill tip and it waspolished all right, i could almost see myself. I cleaned up the dip, and it works much better. im getting alot of smoke and some black dust. but im still not successful. But i will be, just got to keep at it. Thanks for the help everyone!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
silent_trapper said:
I was looking at the drill tip and it waspolished all right, i could almost see myself. I cleaned up the dip, and it works much better. im getting alot of smoke and some black dust. but im still not successful. But i will be, just got to keep at it. Thanks for the help everyone!

Hi Silent Trapper,
If you're getting smoke and dark dust then you're a lot closer than you were before. Is there anyone in your area that could coach you through the final few percent that gets you an ember? We've all been through what you are experiencing now, the frustration and confusion that comes from smoke but no coal.

Keep at it, you'll get there in the end and you'll soon be wondering what all the fuss was about.

ATB

Ogri the trog

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
My best tip is "don't rush"

Once you've got your hole burned in and your notch cut, I found that it was just a case of spinning the drill to built up the heat...hardly any pressure at this point.....then you can feel it tighten as the wood gets hotter....bit more pressure......little wisps of smoke.....more pressure., slightly more speed.......keep going........ember!"

Another problem I had was a LOT of friction between the bearing block and drill. I think my drill ended up about 50% shorter than when I started because I had to keep sharpening the end off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE