The boring countryside.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mr Dazzler, of all the people to accuse of that ........you picked the wrong one sunshine :sigh:

I'm the one who promotes education, the one who says the countryside is for everyone, it's our natural environment, the one who actively engages with literally hundreds of thousands of people encouraging participation in countryside projects and their use of natural resources.

What does appall me is those who refuse to use the brains and intelligence they were given; the lady who intended to immur the plant in a windowless room has two degrees !! the girl who saw the lettuce on the ground is an city girl who intends to be a zoologist...........if they can be so glaikit, heaven help the rest.

And as Eric said, "....you need to lighten up mate ! "

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Perhaps u need to wake up to the fact that our beloved leader's actually want a semi-literate/illiterate population, it suits there purposes and they have been training us down in that direction for year's now.

And it's clearly working - I count 4 separate errors in this sentence alone. ;)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
im glad people think the countryside is boreing!
we wouldnt want it getting too popular would we? there are few remote places left in the UK as it is!
does make me laugh how ignorant people are lol but it does have its downside like banning knives and hunting:eek:

pete

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
At the risk of getting slapped down again for "political" content, I feel i have to reply to that weird politcally loaded statement (if its an april 1st joke its in bad taste)
I find the mention of gene pools totally arrogant, discriminatory, unecessary, and offensive. Dont blame the all too evident failures of post war "social progress" "utopianism" and "liberal enlightenment " on the genetic make up of the largely unsuspecting people who were subjected to its poisonous indoctrinating influences. Look at the folk's who started all this social revolution to begin with I think they have something to do with this problem. We have been conditioned to tolerate enforced collectivism, mediocrity, poor standards of discipline in school's, no need to be responsible for anything, no need for quality workmanship, unaturally high expectations, easy come easy go, moral relativism etc etc. Perhaps u need to wake up to the fact that our beloved leader's actually want a semi-literate/illiterate population, it suits there purposes and they have been training us down in that direction for year's now. It makes the people easier to coerce (sorry,"govern"), if they are herded into semi-urban housing estates near a tesco and a motorway coinnection or whatever.

I said captain...........I said what? :confused:
Blimey !!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'm the one who promotes education, the one who says the countryside is for everyone, it's our natural environment, the one who actively engages with literally hundreds of thousands of people encouraging participation in countryside projects and their use of natural resources.

What does appall me is those who refuse to use the brains and intelligence they were given; the lady who intended to immur the plant in a windowless room has two degrees !! the girl who saw the lettuce on the ground is an city girl who intends to be a zoologist...........if they can be so glaikit, heaven help the rest.

And as Eric said, "....you need to lighten up mate ! "

cheers,
Toddy
Maybe I do need to lighten up, but probaly not. You made what I took to be a stuipd offhand comment, a crass attempt to be amusing at the expense of people you took to be not as intelligent as yourself (presumably). Ho ho ho. Maybe I am senstive in these things, experiencing as I do amazing prejudice and ignorance directed at my disabled son, especially from those in the so called "education industry" in which case please accept my aplogy for over reacting.
No one is given brains or intelligence, children have to be trained and educated somehow and eventaully acquire it for themselves. The system we now have, fails time and again-but no one in the industry will admit to that. Your dim graduate shows that painfully clearly. The fact is these people arent some sort of uncomfortable anomolay, they are a result of our very clever engineered education system. They didnt happen by accident, it was planned
As for spelling and sentence construction's well its' an important issue to some fussy and particuylar people I suppose, but I always thought that lieracy is being able to think independently and with common sense, that it was the content thast matters than wether you have perfect command of the proper qeueen's English. Thinking for yourself is far more important than wether you dot the I's and cross the T's and write a load of old c##p. :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I always thought that lieracy is being able to think independently and with common sense, that it was the content thast matters than wether you have perfect command of the proper qeueen's English.

No, "literacy" refers to the ability to read and write. What I think you mean is "reason", which is a completely different matter. If you're so illiterate that you don't even know what the word "literacy" means, you might not want to throw it around too much.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
No, "literacy" refers to the ability to read and write. What I think you mean is "reason", which is a completely different matter. If you're so illiterate that you don't even know what the word "literacy" means, you might not want to throw it around too much.

down boy!

It's surely not that difficult to realise that some people don't know what a sheep is.

Having moved to Edinburgh, after having come from a very sheltered life in the sticks, i was asked by a young likely lad where the 'bookies' was and I didn't have a clue what he meant. i was 18 and he was about the same age. I could identify all our native trees and the component parts of a sheep, and he was street smart. we were both well adapted to our environments and representative of a broad gene pool.

we both had the relevent education we needed to survive. I have been lucky enough since to develop a good standard of urban awareness and move back to the sticks, hopefully he has had the chance to enjoy a bit of the rural idyl too and if he didn't know what a sheep looked like then I hope he does now.

J

jay1

""As for spelling and sentence construction's well its' an important issue to some fussy and particuylar people I suppose, but I always thought that lieracy is being able to think independently and with common sense, that it was the content thast matters than wether you have perfect command of the proper qeueen's English. Thinking for yourself is far more important than wether you dot the I's and cross the T's and write a load of old c##p. :)""[/QUOTE]

....Mr Dazzler, i agree. Anyway, sometimes education is a double edged sword....it can hamper a global perspective, teaching things which can turn out later to be incorrect that common sense could have told you if instinct and intuition had been listened to. (eg, setting targets for teachers and schools)
on the other hand, look at what education can achieve. look at advances in healthcare, renewable energies..
anyway, i re the typos and grammar, my typos can be hilarious!! i wouldnt worry me dazzler! i resort to text speak which is the lowest form of english i have been told!!!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, OK, that might have been a bit harsh... But still, people in glass houses and all that...

J

jay1

see, i just wrote "me dazzler" instead of "mr dazzler"...i really am not a back of the van jewellery salesman!!!
sure gregorach, is all good hearted banter.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
No one is given brains or intelligence, children have to be trained and educated somehow and eventaully acquire it for themselves. The system we now have, fails time and again-but no one in the industry will admit to that. Your dim graduate shows that painfully clearly. The fact is these people arent some sort of uncomfortable anomolay, they are a result of our very clever engineered education system. They didnt happen by accident, it was planned
No-one in their right mind would leave the education of their children to formal schooling!

My folks sent us to school and then educated us when we got home ;)

The "system" works just fine if you take it for what it is... fill a home with books, encourage a love of reading and asking questions, push kids out of their living rooms and into the outdoors and you'll find they pick up everything they need. Expecting an overworked teacher with 35 other kids to teach your little darling everything they'll ever need to function in society is just daft.

And what's with the bizarre conspiracy theory re. education policy? How can the Govt prevent people reading at home?? Stupid children tend to have stupid parents. Such is life.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, yeah, but I don't see you complaining about some secret government plot to make us all illiterate... It was the sheer irony of that which flipped me out.

EDIT: this is in reply to jay1.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Dazzler, you didn't get a good response because you're angry about something like ten different things that don't especially relate to each other. People think you're just in a bad mood and didn't think throught what you wrote. Read the summary:

poisonous indoctrinating influences
enforced collectivism
mediocrity
poor standards of discipline in school
no need for quality workmanship
moral relativism
our beloved leader's actually want an illiterate population
[people] are herded into semi-urban housing estates near a tesco

I agree with a fair bit of it, by the way.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
mr dazzler, may i suggest that perhaps if you had paid more attention to "queens english" rather than writing "a load of old cr**" then people would have understood your argument better? Then perhaps you would have come across slightly better, and been in a much more favourable position.

as long as you're not too busy being oppressed that is.......

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Yeah, OK, that might have been a bit harsh... But still, people in glass houses and all that...
Hey greg are you really as academically snooty and pedantique as the tone of some of your post's would some time's sudgest ? Not being harsh or any thing mate.....:) I can read and write, though evidently not as superbly as your good self does. Is it really true you cant' make a valid point unless its done with all proper grammer spelling's sentences' etc?
Any way greg, what IS proper garammr any way, which person imposed that on the people, queen's english?? I read some old english somewhere they spellt the sayme wordes severyall tymes dyfferently upon ye same payge. I like that aproach. I always thought englyshe was a spoken language first, not your classical greek or latin set in stone, thats why it has become the most powerful, globaL language because, it adapts and isnt scared of changes.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Hey greg are you really as academically snooty and pedantique as the tone of some of your post's would some time's sudgest ? Not being harsh or any thing mate.....:) I can read and write, though evidently not as superbly as your good self does. Is it really true you cant' make a valid point unless its done with all proper grammer spelling's sentences' etc?
Any way greg, what IS proper garammr any way, which person imposed that on the people, queen's english?? I read some old english somewhere they spellt the sayme wordes severyall tymes dyfferently upon ye same payge. I like that aproach. I always thought englyshe was a spoken language first, not your classical greek or latin set in stone, thats why it has become the most powerful, globaL language because, it adapts and isnt scared of changes.

i mean really, what are you talking about? your post makes no sense because the spelling is abominable and it reads like a pure stream of conciousness.

The reason people take the time to speak and write properly is to make it easier for other people to understand what they're saying. The implication being that if you don't, you don't really care about what you're saying, or about who you're saying it to.

i know that i'm never perfect, i often make typing errors, and i often just get it wrong, but it's the idea that you don't even see the point in trying that really pisses me off

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Of course you can make a valid point with poor grammar and spelling. However, if your argument is about how the government is secretly plotting to make us all illiterate so that we're easier to deceive, it does rather undercut your position.

I really like "pendantique" though. I might have to keep that one. And I suspect I'm far more "academically snooty" (whatever that means) and pedantic than you could imagine - I really do make a big effort to keep it toned down around here.

This thread really has gone wonderfully off-topic now, hasn't it?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
i mean really, what are you talking about? your post makes no sense because the spelling is abominable and it reads like a pure stream of conciousness...

Confucius says: Stream of consciousness is like stream of Wee, both immensely satisfying to self. Aaaaaaah lovely!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Of course you can make a valid point with poor grammar and spelling. However, if your argument is about how the government is secretly plotting to make us all illiterate so that we're easier to deceive, it does rather undercut your position.

I really like "pendantique" though. I might have to keep that one. And I suspect I'm far more "academically snooty" (whatever that means) and pedantic than you could imagine - I really do make a big effort to keep it toned down around here.

This thread really has gone wonderfully off-topic now, hasn't it?

The Sunne Rising 1896
By John Donne
BUSIE old foole, unruly Sunne,
Why dost thou thus,
Through windowes, and through curtaines call on us?
Must to thy motions lovers seasons run?
Sawcy pedantique wretch, goe chide
Late schoole boyes, and sowre prentices,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE