the best way to get to the BushMoot 2012

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey guys and galls, I really wanted to join the Bushmoot 2012, but I have a slight problem still, The journey
I'm still in college so do not have an overflow of cash.
So my question, What do you think is the cheapest way to travel, I do not have a car to get me there, so I will have to resort to trains, busses or perhaps very friendly people who say, well lad if you are there on that time I will pick you as I am already going to the Moot ^^. I'm comming all the way from holland, so have a couple of options, take the tunnel by train/buss take a plane to bristol ( 120Euro's already, a bit of ouch but still in the acceptable range) or a boat.
And then from the location that those transport options give me I have to get to Bridgend.

So if there are very friendly Uk resident that wanna help a guy out in wisdom, or in transport.
your help would be greatly appreciated

Yours sincerely Ruud

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You could speak with Ahjno (Johan) Admin/Mod here. He's from the Netherlands too and he's come over before for the Moot :)

If you get yourself to Bridgend then someone will be sure to give you a lift out to the site. Maybe even from Cardiff, though usually folks meet up there and share a taxi.

cheers,
Toddy

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks guys I'm trying to drag a mate allong so I might have some car acces ^^, and else I will try to contact Johan, see how he will get there and if there are any other options available ^^
Thanks for the help ^^

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'll be flying from Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS) to Cardiff (CWL) (190-ish EUR, 2-way). From Cardiff it's only 20-30 minutes by car if someone's willing to pick you up. Or take the train from (IIRC) Rose Vale to Bridgend. It's pricey, but it brings you right to the Moot's doorstep. It saves me a lot of a hassle: no hasty transfers, no hauling with a big back pack (although I'm trying carry-on only this year), no difficulties finding trains / platforms and it takes up relatively little time etc.

For me these pro's outweigh the cons of the extra costs (if there any at all (train, etc)).

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm sure that if you offered some petrol money someone would grab you from the airport, it would be way cheaper than a taxi or train.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Superb that sounds good guys thanks for those pointers I'm gonna try and get my funds together to make sure to be able to be there this year, and then I will indeed try going by train, or place a humble question with the offer of a petrol fee.
Yours sincerely Ruud
Now I have to make sure to get meself some of that money, you guys keep talking about ^^

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Do the same as Johan and fly to Cardiff if possible. Take the train to Bridgend and if you can't get a lift a taxi should be @ €10 direct to the moot. Maybe try and meet a couple of others at Bridgend railway station and share the taxi cost.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks for the great and quick replies, and the generous offers you guys, I'm gonna try and arrange some things and I'll be back with you, I was also planning on being there the full full members time
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Johan I have one question, about axes knives and planes, do I need to do something about declaring that I bring them with me or is all okay If I just leave them in my main pack as it will not be my handlugage?
Yours sincerely Ruud

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Johan I have one question, about axes knives and planes, do I need to do something about declaring that I bring them with me or is all okay If I just leave them in my main pack as it will not be my handlugage?
Yours sincerely Ruud

Yeah, leaving them in your hold luggage will do. At Schiphol there'll be problems (do pack your pack in a flight bag, to protect it). I take you're flying to Cardiff? If so, on your way back - after check-in you'll be pointed to drop off your pack at the outsized luggage department. They'll check in (and x-ray) your pack in front of you. Tell the guy behind the counter you've been camping and your pack contains a [knife, saw, axe].

First time I didn't, as I thought it wouldn't be a problem as it'd be hold luggage:

After I gave John, the guy behind the counter at the time, my pack it went through the x-ray machine.

The lady who handled the machine: "John, could you come and have a look please?" and "Is this what I think it is?" (obviously pointing at my axe)

John went to have a look.

Me: "Everything OK sir" [ALWAYS be polite!]

John: "Do you have any sharp objects in your bag sir?"

Me: "Yes sir, I have"

John: "Are these the tools of your trade?"

Me: "No sir, they aren't"

John: [started to look a bit annoyed, probably thinking about the amount of paperwork this would cause] "... Right, ..."

Me: [reading the forums i knew you need to have a good reason to carry those sharps, and my pack was full of camping kit] "I've been camping with friends sir, my pack is full of camping kit"

John:"Aaah, OK" and to the x-ray lady: "It's alright, just process it".

Second time I mentioned it but he couldn't be bothered ...

When do you fly?

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Not sure yet am looking to book this week, waiting for a reply from Tengu, and perhaps I will be flying to bristol then as Tengu had so kindly offered me a seat towards the Bushmoot.
But I will be flying on the 30th or if the possibilities strike out, on the 29th then I'll be exploring Bristol for a day ;D
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE