The Best Tarp Construction? Anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I'v been wondering for ages and sifting through books, about what the best tarp construction is for ground sleeping. Not hammock sleeping, sleeping on the ground!

Due to Englands lack of propper woodland, most of the time theres no where to pitch a hammock at times.

So does anyone atall know?

Im thinking constructions that best shed rain and give 360 degree cover. The 'A frame' one is really good but it has 2 weak points. It also has a steep angle so it sheds water better.

Suggestions appreciated.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
If you're looking for true 360° rain cover then you probably need to look at a tent! Having said that, there are some nice designs from Ray Jardine and Exped that take the tarp and add a bit of versatility to it. There's also a whole page of different tarp designs here.

Then there's the issue of materials, I quite like silicone nylon, it's light but really good in the rain. The downside is it's expensive.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah but the thing i hate about tents is that they badly condensate, are really expensive and over time loose waterproofing. In my opinion canvas is the best, but its so heavy.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Even cheaper would be to just buy a couple surplus army poncho's and set them up. Living under a tarp/basha gives you a sense of freedom that you don't really get with a tent. Unfortunately, the risk of getting wet is a bit higher than in a tent.

Good luck!

Adam

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Il be ok cause' iv got a taped seem gore-tex bivi. Its a bit lightweight though so im not sure how much of a pounding it can take.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I think best idea is to get the biggest bivi possible and make it into a ground sitting A-frame and pull the top and bottom of it down slightly. I'd make a sort of windshield for the front and back from bull rushes or sphagnum moss/turf covered interwoven thingy - trouble is whenever Im camping its always on some stupid tourist campsite and my friends complain about tarps because there such city slickers. The only time I get to tarp sleep is when I go up to Dorset with some other friends to breton dancing (I dont dance though - I go for the free booze). Whats left in Britain to wild camp? Except ilegally?

ozymandias

Aug 18, 2006
cheltenham
you can wild camp on any national park unless it has local restrictions- dartmoor is good for wildcamping. get a dark shelter sheet though, as bright ones are real eyesores on a moor for early morning walkers! (sorry pet hate)

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
There is no ideal tarp set up. Everything depends on the terrain, wind and whatever comes down from above. I pitched my tarp in the Alps with rocks in an A-frame set up with trekking poles as tent stakes. One pole shorter than the other to reflect wind. Worked really well.

Overall, I pitch the sides down on the ground in flying snow/rain, but in better weather I pitch the tarp up from the ground for 360° site-seeing.

Hope this helps.

FenetredArpette2small.jpg

camponSundaymorningsmall.jpg

Saturdayeveningsmall.jpg

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Bjorn Victor said:
There is no ideal tarp set up. Everything depends on the terrain, wind and whatever comes down from above. I pitched my tarp in the Alps with rocks in an A-frame set up with trekking poles as tent stakes. One pole shorter than the other to reflect wind. Worked really well.

Overall, I pitch the sides down on the ground in flying snow/rain, but in better weather I pitch the tarp up from the ground for 360° site-seeing.

Hope this helps.

FenetredArpette2small.jpg

camponSundaymorningsmall.jpg

Saturdayeveningsmall.jpg
Those sites look gorgeous :eek:

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Draven said:
Those sites look gorgeous :eek:

Thanks!

The one with the rocks is Fenetre d'Arpette (2665 m) in the Swiss Alps. Very near the border with France and Chamonix.
The one with the snow and trees is in the Ardennes in the southern part of Belgium close to Rochehaut.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That bottom picture looks like something straight out of Band of Brothers!

I agree with bashas, set it up to the conditions at the time. Put the foot end flat on the floor if you have to and raise the head end enough for you to get in. The wind will be hitting the foot end so to create a bit of standoff, put your bergen at the foot end. Or alternatively, a typical inverted V with the sides on the ground to stop draughts, bung up one end with your bergen and get your head down!

I quite liked the idea of using shock poles to create a dome shape in your basha. I can see this being perfect to keep you warm and dry, just the poles weigh a bit for light weight campers.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ive got a web-tex basha which I set up like a ridge tent (a-frame?), I attach the top line at two fixed points at chest height and use four guylines at angles to create the taughtness. Then I stick my bag and mat in a gtx bivvie and, voila! Perfectly dry and warm. Slept out on the North york moors in january in driving sleet and been quite toastie.

Forest

Jun 14, 2006
Bristol
Whats the ideal material for a tarp/basha ? I've tried a few, but the seem too 'plasticky'. They rustle all night like a plastic bag, and don't fold up very well or small.

Can you get them made of 'pure canvas' type material, like a tent, that don't have any type of 'polly' or plastic lining/coating to them and then fold them really small or roll them.

If so, what do they market the material as ? If so any recommended sources other than e-bay?

Cheers Forest

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Check these out, it's what ive got and Ive never had any 'noise' trouble with them, a solid piece of kit and packs pretty small. :)

Forest

Jun 14, 2006
Bristol
Thanks for that, I'll explore deeper.- Looks like a well stocked store.
Although it mentions polly coatings, it does look like the sort I'm after.
The loops seem to be on the better ones, rather than just the eyelets.

Thanks,
Forest

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Check out these as well, this type fold smaller than the web-tex design, and there the ones you see Mr Mears using. Pricey tho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE