The Azure damsel fly mating (very large piccs)...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Each summer when we get periods of warmth, the azure damsel flies congregate in a local lily pond. I was ready for them this year and thought I woud share some of the photos.

Forgive the large size but I felt it was worth it to show the beauty of the event

The odd position always fascinates me....

3621541675_1faf3153ec_b.jpg

Clearly there is no shyness in the insect world

3622418034_c66e5bfda2_b.jpg

Taking off doesn't stop the event

3621645399_14d420d7ca_b.jpg

Nor in fact does flying

3621518523_23f17946be_b.jpg

Always a wonderful event to witness....I hope you enjoyed it

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the kind words ....nothing wildly skillful in the photos -just "right place & time".

Its amazing to see 50 to a hundred pairs all flying around - you get those flashes of "kingfisher blue" in the corner of your eye all the time.

Pure magic.

If I can find the time I'll go to the stream where the Demoiselles mate

Red

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Wow, the flying photo is one of the best wildlife shots I have seen. You can even see that the male has one set of wings up and the other down!

Cheers,
Steve

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Amazing pics Red, well done.

COuld you share the technical and practical details please? I.e lens, settings etc and more importantly, how long and how quiet did you have to be to get those pics.

well done again

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
With great pleasure.

Damsels are not particularly shy but dislike movement and particularly vibration and shadows moving over them. They flit and settle repeatedly whilst mating - but once into egg laying (when on a leaf with the female having her ovipositor under the water). They are reluctant to move. Set your gear up in position and you will be shooting in a few minutes.

For these shots I used a Sigma 135-400mm lens on a Canon 400D body. I used a tripod and a lens mount for the tipod (attaching the tripod to the lens rather that the body as its a long lens)

An average shot in the sequence was at 400mm with exposure 1/320th @ f6.3 ISO 400 - too slow without the tripod (the pond is shady).

HTH Red

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
fantastic!
the males look like they are stood round having a conversation on the second one. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE