The Amazing Lyre Bird

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 22, 2006
uk
if thats the attenborough life of birds footage its probably the most amazing spectacle in nature - definately one of them anyway.

What really blew my mind was the fact that the bird had the reverb of the distant chainsaws perfectly duplicated...i still can hardly get my head round that.
the brain generally doesnt hear sound that way in the real world...it uses reverberation as a means of placement generally - not as a sound in its own right. its kind of like the data part of a digi audio stream, a seperate packet to the actual noise. the brain re-assembles the noise without the reverb so you'll recognise it up close.

its absolutely one of the greatest sights / sounds in nature to me. i would LOVE to see one in the flesh

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Nightwalker said:
Video of a truly amazing bird.. Lyre Bird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuFyqzerHS8

Nice Nightwalker!

A website accompanying a quite interesting book, combining science, poetry and music to try and understand birdsong:

http://www.whybirdssing.com/

The book includes the story of a population of lyrebirds that still mimick a popular song from the 1930's when a lyrebird held as a pet bird heard the song playing on the radio. After the bird was set free, the song continued to be part of the repertoire of the resident population.

Tom

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
No way, thats amazing!! :eek:

Yeah if you read the comments on my youtube video of the Lyre Bird there are some stories in there too. I believe one person talks about a relative who lived in Australia and ran worried into a nearby wood concerned someone had ditched a baby in there, he could hear a perfect crying baby in the woods, was a Lyre Bird! :lmao:

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
If I remember that footage correctly it's of the Superb Lyrebird. I've seen and heard the Albert's lyrebirds (not sure what the correct name for them is) in the state forest near where I grew up in northern New South Wales. Apart from imitating just about every other birdsong around the only 'unnatural' sounds they made was car alarms (twigs and branches falling from trees onto car roofs in the carpark!). Wonderful stuff.

Nightwalker said:
No way, thats amazing!! :eek:

Yeah if you read the comments on my youtube video of the Lyre Bird there are some stories in there too. I believe one person talks about a relative who lived in Australia and ran worried into a nearby wood concerned someone had ditched a baby in there, he could hear a perfect crying baby in the woods, was a Lyre Bird! :lmao:

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
i remember watching this on the bbc and telling a few people, they actually though i was telling porkies about the chainsaw part.. really amazing bird.. good job austraila doesnt allow export of ther native creatures, i would imagain alot of people would love to keep one of these caged up as a party piece! :(

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I have them nesting in my backyard. They are everywhere down here. We don't get them imitating many man made noises, just mainly other varieties of birds. But their feeding habits can very destructive, we have no topsoil left down the back of the property because of their scratching. Mind you they are magnificent birds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE