The 5 best Bushcraft/ Survival books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
Hi I want to buy some bushcraft /survival books but money is something that I don’t have a lot of, so I want to know which 5 books are the best if you want to know as much as possible. Knife books, knot books, military books, I don’t care, as long as they are related to bushcraft /survival

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hello Kotteman , Firsty welcome.

May I suggest you visit our cousins across the water at Bushcraft USA , sign up and then have a look at there e-books for free download , there are over 370 books on various topics and you may want to have a look at Overlavnad

Anyway , until you've exhausted that lot , save your money.

Hth

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski is a good read. It has chapters on fire craft, axe craft, knife craft, saw craft, about 5 chapters on various trees and their uses, a chapter on moose and one on hares. A pretty good all rounder.
The Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living by John and Geri McPherson is another one I like. It's very detailed and pretty full on bushcraft living. It covers making your own stone tools, shelter building, bow making and a ton of other stuff too. If you find yourself out in the woods with nothing on you, this is the book to have read.
I'd also recommend the Collins Mini Gem SAS Survival Guide as an excellent book to chuck in your bag. It's stuffed with information in a very small package. Another book, Food For Free is available in a similar size. It's a great resource if you're looking to gather your own plant food.

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
Hello Kotteman , Firsty welcome.

May I suggest you visit our cousins across the water at Bushcraft USA , sign up and then have a look at there e-books for free download , there are over 370 books on various topics and you may want to have a look at Overlavnad

Anyway , until you've exhausted that lot , save your money.

Hth

Been there done that :), the problem is that they only have books were the copyright have expired :p. I would like some newer books and it’s much more fun reading books made of paper than stare at a computer screen :)

Why 5?

Read Graves' 10 Bushcraft books and they are free ;)

I think the detail of Mors' Buhcraft is excellent. What struck me is how the methods are similar to those used in temperate and arid zones as well

Why 5? It’s a nice even number and that’s about all the books I can afford :) I also think that if everyone would write down a list of their favourite bushcraft books the list would be to long :p

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Top 5 Bushcraft Books.
I've got about 70-80 related books and probably around 5-6 GB of files and e-books so there's a fair bit to pick from.

Bushcraft - Mors Kochanski
If you were only to get one book this would be it, it's not the densest book but it contains a wealth of information that you simply won't get anywhere else. It deals with a myriad of things from crafts to cooking to tree identification and tools and does a good job of illustrating what a wide subject bush lore is.

Primitive Technology: A Book of Earth Skills
This one focuses on the primitive aspect and deals with many crafts made with stone tools. It is certainly still relevant if you're using modern tools and contains more inspiration and ideas for projects than any other book I've ever come across. There is a second volume which is just as good as the first if you enjoy it.

Camping and Woodcraft: Horace Kephart

This is a veritable encyclopedia of information of early 20th century woodcraft and camping. It contains huge amounts of information on practically every subject under the sun and notably, a good section of recipes. Maybe not one to read from cover to cover but an excellent resource book.

Indian Fishing: Hilary Stewart
This book shows you the sheer range of things which can be crafted from nature using only simple hand tools. It covers nets, spears, hooks and all other methods of catching fish as well as the related art and cooking techniques. More than any other book this shows you an end goal for your knife skills and a true element of wilderness living skill. There's a preview on google books and Mungo has discussed the book on his blog.

Cache Lake Country: JJ Rowlands
This is the diary of a timber cruiser who spent a year living in a cabin in the Northwoods. It contains a huge range of nature observations as well as stories and has some beautiful woodcuts. Although it is a journal in includes plans on how to carve different items, fashion moccasins and sleds and cook various meals. It's truly a must-read for anyone interested in wilderness living.

It's a pity to restrict it to 5 but without knowing someone's location and interests it's necessary to leave out a lot of good books - my personal favourite is perhaps the Snow Walker's Companion, I read it every winter when the snow falls, but if you're not looking for information on hot-tent winter camping in deep snow then it's not going to be as useful as the books above.

John Lee

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, WA, USA
There's a site called M40's wilderness survival skills which has a lot of no-nonsense information written in a fun format. He also has included most of the Army survival manual. I don't have the exact web address but you can easily find it. You'll enjoy this site for the knife information alone. John Lee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE