the 2nd DD group buy for hammocks and tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 12, 2007
northampton
sauroman101................... ......................... Tarp 3x3 Lightweight
Mesquite...................... .......................... 1 x tarp 3x3 lightweight
sulehay....................... ............................1 x Travel Hammock and Tarp 3x3 Lightweight
widu13........................ ............................1 x Travel Hammock and Tarp 3x3 Lightweight
mountain_necro_goat........... ......................2 x tarp 3x3 lightweight
PJMcBear...................... .. ........................1 x camping hammock and tarp 3x3 lightweight
RussT......................... .............................. 1 x travel hammock and tarp 3x3 lightweight
HERBz......................... .............................1 x travel
redkite....................... .............................. .......1x 3x3 lightweight tarp
traxsboy...................... .............................. ..1x nets,1x 3x3 lightweght tarps
Aragorn....................... .............................. ....1x 3x3 lightweight tarp
kiltedpict.................... .............................. .......1 x tarp 3x3 lightweight
ddokkum....................... .............................. ......1 x travel
the interceptor boy........................... ...................1x travel and 3x3 tarp l/w
bluemerln..................... .................... ................. tarp 3x3 lightweight
Mosnan........................ .............................. ...........................1X Tarp 2X3
Allie.................................................................................1 x l/w tarp

below is £27 for the tarps

woodstock..................... .............................. .....................l/w tarp
sparkplug..................... .............................. .......................l/w tarp
drliamski................................................................l/w tarp and camping hammock
bootstrap bob.............................................................i/w tarp
bogeyman................................................................travel and l/w tarp
ckelks.....................................................................travel and l/w tarp
Gleams.....................................................................l/w tarp
welshwhit...................................................................l/w tarp
dimond dave..............................................................l/w tarp
korvin karbon............................................................travel and l/w tarp

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Hammock arrived on Friday mate - NO idea how you turned it round so fast, I make it LESS than 12hrs from the time I pp'd you to the time it arrived! :eek::D:eek:

Top job mate :You_Rock_

Thanks ;)

eskimotwenty

Jun 1, 2007
Manchester
hi could you add me to your list i've been watching this with interest and initially didn't have the funds but managed to off load some surplus kit.

one 3x3 lightweight tarp
one camping hammock

thanks tony

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
hi could you add me to your list i've been watching this with interest and initially didn't have the funds but managed to off load some surplus kit.

one 3x3 lightweight tarp
one camping hammock

thanks tony

hi eskimotwenty how have you been :)..yes mate i'll put you on..
nice to have back on the gb

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
sauroman101................... ......................... Tarp 3x3 Lightweight
Mesquite...................... .......................... 1 x tarp 3x3 lightweight
sulehay....................... ............................1 x Travel Hammock and Tarp 3x3 Lightweight
widu13........................ ............................1 x Travel Hammock and Tarp 3x3 Lightweight
mountain_necro_goat........... ......................2 x tarp 3x3 lightweight
PJMcBear...................... .. ........................1 x camping hammock and tarp 3x3 lightweight
RussT......................... .............................. 1 x travel hammock and tarp 3x3 lightweight
HERBz......................... .............................1 x travel
redkite....................... .............................. .......1x 3x3 lightweight tarp
traxsboy...................... .............................. ..1x nets,1x 3x3 lightweght tarps
Aragorn....................... .............................. ....1x 3x3 lightweight tarp
kiltedpict.................... .............................. .......1 x tarp 3x3 lightweight
ddokkum....................... .............................. ......1 x travel
the interceptor boy........................... ...................1x travel and 3x3 tarp l/w
bluemerln..................... .................... ................. tarp 3x3 lightweight
Mosnan........................ .............................. ...........................1X Tarp 2X3
Allie.................................................................................1 x l/w tarp

below is £27 for the tarps and the travel hammocks are £35

woodstock..................... .............................. .....................l/w tarp
sparkplug..................... .............................. .......................l/w tarp
drliamski................................................................l/w tarp and camping hammock
bootstrap bob.............................................................i/w tarp
bogeyman................................................................travel and l/w tarp
ckelks.....................................................................travel and l/w tarp
Gleams.....................................................................l/w tarp
welshwhit...................................................................l/w tarp
dimond dave..............................................................l/w tarp
korvin karbon............................................................travel and l/w tarp
eskimotwenty...........................................................camping and l/w tarp

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi all as from friday i'm away for 2 weeks with the TA.
if anyone needs me then get in touch with scummpy as he has my mobile tel no.
but i would like it if you could start sending me your addresses please.
as i now know the cost of each item i can start sorting out each one of you is going to have to pay...but i'm not going to give you the details yet as i don't want anybody sending me money just yet.i'll ask for that when nick has the items ready to deliver.
the payments are going to be paypal or cheaque.
ok guys ,,
i'm here till friday
sandbag47 :)

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I'm in Belgium and I am interested in buying some DD items as well. Can I also join this group buy? When is the deadline?
Im pretty sure sandbags will be ok about it as he appears to be one of the good guys stick your name down and when he gets back from his hols/manoeuvres im sure he will let you know what the situation is hope this answers your question...

It's clear now that at best the tenth wonder is a copy of DDs. What has miffed me about this is that DD have held back on letting us know the info that they had obviously known about for some time.

hi all...

I think the comment "tenth wonder is at best a cheap copy of DD" is way off the the mark...and I will tell you why

About a year ago i was working in saigon vietnam for a company making hammocks called DD (I have since left, and i can totally believe nick DD has had problems with that supplier). "DD" are the initials of the woman that started this VIETNAMESE company back in 1992, and she runs the marketing side while her husband takes care of production. They have their own range of hammocks, called "DD", which have been available in saigon for donkeys years, and more recently other parts of Asia (in fact my job was to get overseas customers)

Anyway, while i was there I noticed a range of "DD" hammocks with mosquito nets, and slightly different logos on the stuffsacks, but using the same old "DD saigon" sewn on labels on the hammock itself. These jungles are probably the ones you guys have been buying (although I could be wrong as this was 12 months ago). I didnt pay much attention to them at first, as I had also seen them on sale in a few local markets in vietnam for under $?

Anyway, the guy that runs tenth wonder UK is a mate of mine and found out I was working for a company making hammocks, and so he asked me to get him some hammocks to sell on ebay. At the time he wasnt using the name tenth wonder.

So I got him a load of ordinary 2-ply hammocks with the DD saigon logo on, the same hammocks they had been selling since 1992, which came in plastic DD bags with a dragon emblem on the front. He liked them and was doing good business and so asked me to get some jungle hammocks made, which I did. They also came with the standard DD logo, which as I just said is a dragon and has been used by the DD saigon company since 1992. All was well and good.

However, after seeing all these DD hammocks online, Mr Nick began writing angry emails to my friend in the Uk talking of legal action and the like...and so in the end my mate in england decided it wasnt worth the aggro and decided to make his own name, "tenth wonder".

And thats how it happened. I suggest you write to Nick and ask him yourself - if he gives you a straight answer then it will fit with what I have just told you. Just why Nick chose to use the name "DD", when it was already in use by a vietnamese company, selling hammocks all over vietnam, as well as Japan and korea, is a mystery.

So the fact is that DD and tenth wonder hammocks are made in the same place by the same people. Same material, which is a T190 polyester, not nylon, and the mossie net is an army surplus product used by the vietnamese military (very strong). As far as I can remember the only difference was that DD had a zip for a sleeping mat, and the tenth wonder ones had alluminium mossie bars. I have since moved on and tenth wonder is now getting his stuff via me through a different source. Nylon taffeta, I might add.

So there you have it.

I am not trying to put anyone down here, especially Nick DD in the UK. In fact I can personally vouch that Nicks hammocks are quality, as I have been using a tenth wonder jungle hammock for well over a year now and its still going strong.

If you are reading this Nick, be aware that I personally talked DD saigon OUT of making their own hammock website using their OFFICIAL "DD".name. I think you owe me a beer on that one mate. .

Sep 18, 2008
Scotland
Good evening,

Nick from DD Hammocks here. After reading the above post, very largely untrue, I have decided to register to address the inaccuracy of what has been written.

When I first started selling hammocks three and a half years ago I bought some hammocks in Vietnam which were labelled 'DD superior hammock'. I chose to shorten this name to DD Hammocks (which is now a registered UK trademark belonging to myself).

Since then we, DD Hammocks, have come a long way, moving on from the small original supplier via some manufacture in Indonesia to some production in Thailand and a large team of people based in China who make hammocks solely for ourselves - to our own designs and specs based partly on feedback and suggestions as I think some of you will be aware. Both our new Travel Hammock and new Tarp are made in China. No-one else sells a hammock like our new Travel Hammock (I'll wait until Sandbag is back before releasing further details about the new, improved hammock).

I have no wish to get into an argument on Bushcraft UK with the above person who is making totally false claims. The details I've provided are 100% accurate and if anyone would like any further info/clarification, please feel free to email me via DD Hammocks' website.

I'd also like to apologise for the time it's taken for this group buy; all going well you should all receive your new hammocks and tarps by the 1st of October and I'm confident they will prove well worth the wait!

Best regards,
Nick

"Largely very false claims" eh? Does that mean you WEREN'T making hammocks with DD in saigon about 12/18 months ago, which is the time frame I was referring to in my post?

Anyway, not that it really matters. I only wrote the above because I keep seeing people putting tenth wonder down, and in the same sentence just so happen to lavish praise on DD. I dunno, maybe your hammocks ARE better..... just didnt seem that way to me (about 12/18 months ago).

No offense mate. Good luck with the Chinese thing.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Dave,

People are entitled to post their opinions and as long as they sound rational they usually get a listening but that's what they are -- opinions. But when it is going nowhere let it drop or as they say When you are in a hole stop digging. I would hazard a guess that you aren't actually doing your mate any favours by prolonging a tit-for-tat between brands.

I can't speak about your mate (Tenth Wonder) as I have never dealt with him, his kit may be brilliant. I have dealt with DD on a few occassions though and I did have a whinge about a tarp on here but it was so long after I bought it that I never expected DD to do anything over a year later.

A few weeks ago I enquired about Scout Hammocks, as Nick did not have what I wanted in stock he made me an offer on some old stock at pretty special prices. It took us a while to decide (try getting 20 x 14 and 15 year olds to agree on anything!) during which time the stock arrived at DD. Nick still honoured his original offer (he actually dropped the price and threw in the carriage) and the parcel of 10 Travel Hammocks arrived less than 48 hours after I emailed him confirmation. I am not singing their praises for an ulterior reason I am commenting on the good service they gave me.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
sauroman101................... ........................1 x Tarp 3x3 Lightweight
mountain_necro_goat........... ....................2 x Tarp 3x3 lightweight
PJMcBear...................... .. ......................1 x camping hammock and tarp 3x3 lightweight
RussT......................... ........................... 1 x travel hammock and tarp 3x3 lightweight
HERBz......................... ...........................1 x travel
redkite....................... ...................... .......1 x 3x3 lightweight tarp
traxsboy...................... ......................... ..1 x nets,1x 3x3 lightweght tarps
Aragorn....................... ........................ ....1 x 3x3 lightweight tarp
kiltedpict.................... ..............................1 x tarp 3x3 lightweight
ddokkum....................... .................... ......1 x travel
the interceptor boy........................... .........1 x travel and 3x3 tarp l/w
bluemerln..................... .................... .......1 x tarp 3x3 lightweight
Mosnan........................ ............................1 x Tarp 2X3
Allie..........................................................1 x l/w tarp

below is £27 for the tarps

woodstock..................... ............................1 x l/w tarp
sparkplug..................... ..............................1 x l/w tarp
drliamski.....................................................1 x l/w tarp and camping hammock
bootstrap bob..............................................1 x l/w tarp
bogeyman...................................................1 x travel and 1 x l/w tarp
ckelks.........................................................1 x travel and 1 x l/w tarp
Gleams.......................................................1 x l/w tarp
welshwhit.....................................................1 x l/w tarp
dimond dave.................................................1 x l/w tarp
korvin karbon................................................1 x travel and 1 x l/w tarp
eskimotwenty.................. ............................1 x camping and 1 x l/w tarp
PeterH ........................................................1 x l/w tarp

Yes, I too have heard DD provides a great service. But that isnt really the issue.

I was just pointing out a few things to the people who keep making snide online remarks that tenth wonder copied DD. That's all. If Nick DD wants to jump in and basically say I am a liar then I think I am entitled to respond in some way. Or am I not allowed?

anyway point taken and i actually agree with you this is getting silly. So I will let it rest.

But before i go......if you consider how basic the 2 brands of hammock are/were (unlike a clark or a hennessy) its laughable to say one copied the other anyway. There are loads of other hammocks online made exactly the same way. Its like someone accusing someone else of copying a football cos they made it spherical...how else would it be?

No offence to tenth wonder or DD intended.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
hi all back from my taxpayers holiday with the TA ...have i missed anything.
looks like i have..well i beleive in freedom of speech. so welcome dave mint.
you are only standing up for a friend...the comments made on this gb were from someone that had brought one of his hammocks and his comments on the hammock that he had brought thats all..
to be honest i don't really care about the history or the who did what to who i'm trying to run a group buy here ..all i know is that when i'm snuggeled up in my hammock in my doss bag with my favioute teddy and hot water bottle to hand under a tarp that is keeping the weather off me.. that i'm really comfy and have to really force myself to get up in the morning. and that hammock just happens to be a dd hammock.and alot of people seem to think the same as me...just not with the teddy and hot water bottle.
so i'm sorry a comment someone made upset you about a hammock that your friend makes.but if you feel so strongly about tenth wonder do a group buy on this forum for your friend..you never know you might do very well out of it ...

so thank you for you opions and good luck with what ever you deside to do in future..

sandbag47

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I'm in Belgium and I am interested in buying some DD items as well. Can I also join this group buy? When is the deadline?

you can join mate..what would you like .....just so you know i belive you will have to pay an extra £10 for postage.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
you can join mate..what would you like .....just so you know i belive you will have to pay an extra £10 for postage.

How was your Holiday :rolleyes: with the TA I spent many a pleasant year instructing great bunch of guys and guyesses god I never know what the correct term is to much red tape now for me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE