That blue tit isn't daft!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Was sat here at the laptop about half an hour ago, typing a reply to a thread...
...when a blue tit whizzed past my head!! :eek:

No idea how it got indoors, but it sure didn't want to head out of the window I opened, no matter how hard I tried to corner it..

It's currently shut in the bathroom, with the window slightly open, but it's sub-zero outside and too dark to fly, so he's in no hurry to leave.. can't say I blame him!

I've put some seed down in the bottom of the bath, and a little dish of water...
I've rigged up a stick as a perch and hung a suet ball on the end of it...
And I've put a box in there with a small hole in the front and some cotton wool in the bottom for bedding..

Now, I've left the lights on in there so he doesn't injure himself flying around, (will find a lower power alternative as it's a bit bright in there with the halogens on :cool:) and the window is open enough for him to get out when it's light enough outside in the morning...

Apart from leaving him alone so as not to stress him, any other suggestions?

I figure he'll either get his head down for the night and make his escape in the morning... :sadwavey:

Or he'll invite the rest of the family round to stay in his swanky new pad :yikes:

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
only one suggestion mate...remember he is a guest, so a nice bacon sarnie in the morning with a steaming brew wouldnt go a miss. On a more serious note, hope the guy doesnt die from the stress, it happened to me once with a starling (and theyre apparently domesticatable!)...

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Put a wee box in the room or catch it and put the bird in the box.

Put some shredded paper in it and something for it to grasp with it's feet.

Keep it in the dark until morning and release.

bikething

May 31, 2005
... On a more serious note, hope the guy doesnt die from the stress, it happened to me once with a starling (and theyre apparently domesticatable!)...
That's what concerns me... don't know where his nest site is and he has the option to leave but doesn't. I figure he stands a better chance in the warmth of the bathroom than out in the cold and dark without a nest.... It's -2 and falling outside

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
I had a Wren in the bathroom this week,it went up into the clean towels etc in the airing cupboard.I opened the bathroom window and stood back out the way and a few minutes later it flew out :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Had one in the barn today. Turned all the lights off in the barn and turned on the yard light and it flew right out

bikething

May 31, 2005
tb298138.jpg
Aww.. he's left you a little present :D

Don't forget to feed the little blighter!
got a suet ball hanging up in there, and scattered some wild bird seed in the bottom of the bath (Must remember to clean it up before I next use it :yikes:)

Thermometer in the kitchen showed -6.4 at 6:15 this morning.. I'll leave him in peace until it's light enough outside to fly safely..

Thinking about it... it's probably a female as I haven't been able to get in the bathroom for a shave yet :rolleyes:

bikething

May 31, 2005
Well, went in at 7:45 this morning....

no sign of the bird... no sign of a body :) .. guess it made it's escape through the open window!

there were a few cracked seed husks in the bath so it looks like it had a little munch before it left ....

....Or he'll invite the rest of the family round to stay in his swanky new pad :yikes:
oddly enough...

while I was sat here at the computer working away this morning, with the window to my left open slightly so I could hear the birdsong outside...

a group of 3 or 4 blue tits flew up to the slightly open window to try and get in, until they saw me sat here and flew off... :dunno:

Standby to repel boarders!!! :pirate:

Last edited:

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
What was it you said, oh yeah, "That blue tit isn't daft!!"

He bugged off back to his mates and told em about the free food and warm sleeping place, that's it now you'll have to keep the windows closed or it could turn into a scene from the film The Birds !!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE