testing the new anvil....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well after i had my last anvil robbed from where i work (silly me for trusting people eh), i managed to get hold of another bit of steel, £20 it cost but hey better than £300 +...

i used 7 cutting disc's to cut through the top bit of beam, its 35mm thick and took an age, i cut it into 3 and then welded 1 piece onto the main bit, the main piece was a bit pitted from rust and other things so thats why.....

it must be around 85kg, its a right pain to move, but with my new anti theft chain welded to the blooming thing its going "NO PLACE"!!!!

having made the anvil it would have been rood not to try it.....;)

made a small forged blade, and just need to gring the bevels on then heat treat..........

i also tried my new stamp which worked a treat, its just a simple "LM" which stands for Lannyman...:) jobs a fish, enjoy the pics....;)

all wrapped up in its rain coat......:)

hope you like it..

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
its a better shape than the last one, its about 20-25 kg more even with the bit chopped of.....;)

its got a bit less ting than the last one too, which is good because it does my head in at times...:)

all round happy with it, just need some chainsaw chain to get the dammy bashed out....;)

regards...

chris.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
haha no dude, just cause they would have chain saws kicking about, just thinking have you any garages that service Motorbikes? would there chains be any good?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hadn't realised the kit you were using have you forged damascus before? Have you done forge welding a simple 3 layer laminated knife? Straight in at chain damascus with a primitive forge and no power assistance is not the easiest.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hadn't realised the kit you were using have you forged damascus before? Have you done forge welding a simple 3 layer laminated knife? Straight in at chain damascus with a primitive forge and no power assistance is not the easiest.

i have made simple billets before Robin, on the same forge and used a claw hammer and sledge hammer as an anvil in the woods, so it should be fine mate, i might just need some form of better blower....

i have no power where i work which is the biggest problem, or i wold use some propper air pumps....

i do have a gas forge but im not sure it will reach the temps needed to forge weld, and gas is exspencive....:(:(:(

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Looks good mate well done, I like the simple brick forge.

gas is nice to work with, but pricey, and a forge be it some bricks or a custome made cast iron or steel jobey, they all do the same job, i dont have much cash or i would have a workshop with forge band saw grinders drills etc etc etc.....

i like to do things in the forge and use what i can afford, i just hope the end results are the same.....;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE