testing a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Gary said:
Apart from doing all the usual (user type) things, splitting, carving spoons and feather sticks, casting sparks for fires, chopping wood and veggies ect does anybody have any specific tests they like to do on a new knife?

Hi Gary, the best test of a new knife is to give it to a ham-fisted beginner like me to abuse for a while. If it can stand up to my amateurish attempts at sharpening, carving, battoning (I still have the bruises on my knuckles :( ) and spark generating then it would be a worthy tool indeed :D

No-one is tougher on tools than an enthusiastic amateur in the early throes of his craft.....

Cheers,
Simon

btw I had a excellent weekend Gary, learned loads and totally chilled out.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
BorderReiver said:
BUT,when catching by reflex it is not always certain that you will grab the handle.

You are talking about a controled situation and you are intending to drop and catch.This is not what happens in the field.

I find it much safer to try to condition myself to "let it drop" when handling very sharp sharps,and move the lower legs and feet out of the way.

I will check balance by dropping the blade point down and allowing it to stick. I check *my* ability by grabbing it before it touches the intended target when I drop it. It's actually more of a test of hand-eye coordination and concentration. Both of which are critical in the bush. Keeping it safe is also of great importance to me and is also a critical to have in the bush.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
simonsays said:
Hi Gary, the best test of a new knife is to give it to a ham-fisted beginner like me to abuse for a while. If it can stand up to my amateurish attempts at sharpening, carving, battoning (I still have the bruises on my knuckles :( ) and spark generating then it would be a worthy tool indeed :D

No-one is tougher on tools than an enthusiastic amateur in the early throes of his craft.....

Cheers,
Simon

btw I had a excellent weekend Gary, learned loads and totally chilled out.

Good news mate that what the course is all about hope we struck a happy medium!!

As for the knife ..................

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Keith_Beef said:
I think that those are made by Martiini for Rapala.

Keith.

Yep, and they come in several different blade sizes and a couple of blade types and come with the same handle, leather sheath and 420 stainless blade. They can be had for about the same price as a SwAK or Clipper. I was looking at them on ebay and they manufacture one with a 3 1/2" blade that I'm thinking of picking up.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Gary said:
Apart from doing all the usual (user type) things, splitting, carving spoons and feather sticks, casting sparks for fires, chopping wood and veggies ect does anybody have any specific tests they like to do on a new knife?

I can't think of a thing that I do as far as testing, that doesn't fall into the usage category. Well, except for my previous post.

I have to share that the two most important tests to me are whether I can accurately and comfortably use the knife when I choke up on the blade for fine wood work and whether the handle fits me well enough for extended use power cutting through 1"+ saplings.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
RovingArcher said:
I can't think of a thing that I do as far as testing, that doesn't fall into the usage category. Well, except for my previous post.

I have to share that the two most important tests to me are whether I can accurately and comfortably use the knife when I choke up on the blade for fine wood work and whether the handle fits me well enough for extended use power cutting through 1"+ saplings.

Agreed with the above - however I wouldnt recommend your previous post to anybody - in bushcraft we should always err on the side of safety!

Moine

Forager
Gary,

Gary said:
Interesting point of view - I wonder if you have ever weakened a blade by beating it up so that should you ever have needed it in an emergency it might have failed!

Well... I've had untested blades fail on me in emergencies and non-emergencies, but those who went through the ordeal never failed afterwards... yet...

I think most steels either endure the hardships with ductility/resiliency (and come back unaltered), or else they chip, roll, break, bend, or deteriorate in some permanent way.

Cheers,

David

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
Well, I tend to carry two kinds of blades: typically, a razor-sharpened pocket knife and a coarsely sharpened axe (or mora/pukko-style knife).

For the razor type blade, the traditional tests of removing hair off the arm or slicing paper seem to work. For the more coarsely sharpened blade, chopping vegetation or wood is the thing.

For keeping them rust free, olive oil is great if the knives are in semi-regular use, otherwise it goes rancid. Usually, I tend to use petroleum jelly which doubles as a skin moisturiser and when mixed with cotton wool balls, becomes a great makeup remover...er...firelighter. Being a grease, it stays on the blade whereas oil might tend to drip off or evaporate.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd go along with paper slicing and alopecia of the arms!! If a knife does a few days of bushcrafting, along with all the normal tasks usually encountered on such a trip, without any need for hardcore sharpening, you're onto a winner.

Spamel

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Rhapsody said:
I batton it through a tough piece of wood and then trim my toenails with it. If a knife does both of these things well and bloodlessly then I'm convinced it can be used to do anything.

Remind me never to eat anything that you have prepared :eek: :p

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I imagine you've already put it through its paces for delicate, intricate carving, esecially tight internal radius cuts, like on a primitive fish hook for instance.
That is particularly where the old helle lets me down.

Dave

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
MartiniDave said:
I imagine you've already put it through its paces for delicate, intricate carving, esecially tight internal radius cuts, like on a primitive fish hook for instance.
That is particularly where the old helle lets me down.

Dave

I never but Paganwolf did, he turned my broom handle into.... well a lot of shavings eventually!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
MartiniDave said:
Sorry to hear about your broom Gary, its been a good 'un, only had 3 new heads and 2 new handles! :D

:D had that broom mn and boy - swept many a parade ground too!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE