Tesco's Torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I bought a torch for 8 pounds (usually 12 pounds) off tescos - superb build quality and exellent, strong beam for the price. Anybody else used one also who could comment?

got it to, does the job nicely. The surefire and fenix brnads are "cooler" and more powerful, but how often do you need 100+ lumens when walking back to your tent/hammock?

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I have the 3w cree AA version and it's excellent. I also have a Fenix L1D (and the L2D body) but prefer the Tesco torch for most things. Superb.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
I purchased the four watt LED version and it is simply stunning. I replaced the O rings with heavier duty ones, and for the money these torches cannot be beaten.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Was in Tesco the other day and the 2C was down to £8.80 as was tempted, but I've bought a wee bit too much gear lately and SWMBO would have raised an eyebrow!

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Called to Tesco Yesterday, their selling some of the cheap DIY tools off (I think it's the stuff they had in the yellow carboard displays).

Any way I got a couple of LED key ring torches for 50p and their not bad either

Richard

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I have one of the middle sized ones from a while back. Great torch but lately the on off switch has been playing up and it can be difficult to get it going.

Had a quick look but it's all screwed down tight with some electronics in view so a bit worried about stripping it. Any ideas?

Gareth

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
I have one of the middle sized ones from a while back. Great torch but lately the on off switch has been playing up and it can be difficult to get it going.

Had a quick look but it's all screwed down tight with some electronics in view so a bit worried about stripping it. Any ideas?

Gareth

The switch has failed on one of mine too. There's a thread over on British Blades about cutting one down, fitting an external switch and battery pack, and using it as a cycling light. You could easily adapt to a very useful head torch, and I will, when I (all together now!) "get around to it".

Oscar

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
Just tried my new Tesco torch out in my back garden this evening.

Wow. What a torch, given the price of it. Easily compares with more expensive torches, just as robust.

My handsize maglight has now been relegated to 2nd place and kept in the car. The Tesco's torch is now my Bushtorch.

Alan.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I think I got both of these around Christmas for under £20, they certainly weren't as expensive as the following links...

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-5039.aspx

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-8191.aspx

Both made of aluminium and steel, very sturdy. Not sure of the electrics, the 4w has a rubber covered switch, is very bright, and reassuringly heavy. The 3w is nicely compact. Their head torch is very good too, and it maybe a local thing, but it's two quid cheaper in the torch aisle than it is in the camping.(!?!)

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I bought a Tesco torch for about £8 and it seems excellent. However I dumped the packaging so I can't tell if it is a cree model or not. Anyone know how I can work it out?

As an aside, I don't really use hand held torches so much any more. Although they have a long beam I rarely need to see that far and a decent LED head torch is very light and usually more than adequate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE