Tesco Gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
walking through tesco the other night, noticed some tesco camping gear. Head torch, and self inflating beds etc, anyone tried anything from tesco? if so how was it?

cheers

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I got a couple of aluminium cups from a car boot sale that were labelled as from Tesco. Gave one away and then found that the other one was the perfect size for a tiny hobo stove setup. Only the handle is breaking now, and I can no longer find them on the Tesco website. If I did, I'd buy another.

Nothing special about them, just the right size for what I wanted.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have one of there packs, about 40ish litres, very good, solid build and comfy with a decent rain cover too.

this one.
SS07200-3132TPS104651.jpg

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I bought a lot of stuff from Tesco when starting out and have to say it has been great kit!

Up until my last camping trip I was using this bag:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-2775.aspx

The temperature ratings on it are very ambitious however I would say this is ideal at about 5 degrees upwards but other than that a good comfy bag, doesn't pack up well though.

I was also using their fleece liner:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-9328.aspx

This is a great bit of kit, it's so soft and really does keep you warm and it packs up very well, only thing missing is a zip but I don't find that much of a problem.

And finally I used to use a 65L Tesco rucksack:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-8250.aspx

For the money this was a great pack, plenty of room inside and plenty of attachment points outside and basically bombproof. Only niggles with it were that it was slightly uncomfortable as the back isn't adjustable and there are no side pockets or hood pockets, only a big main section split into two with a sleeve at the back of the main compartment

All in all I would say it is great quality kit for the money you pay but more suited to the newbie camper maybe looking to start in the earlier months o spring into mid autumn but for the money I can't fault any of it. I have started upgrading my kit for a bit more luxury but for back to basics stuff it's great :D

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i got the gaiters as well, work ok, does what they are intended to do. might be a bit nervous going through brambles and sharp places with them though.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I got a compass and map case set from Tesco. I managed to get the needle to point in every direction. If you turned the compass round the needle would sometimes move and sometimes it wouldn't and would just stay pointing in the new direction. I took it back and to be fair there was no quibble over a refund.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I've got the inflatable double mattress. Never taking it camping because it weighs far too much and I don't mind sleeping on the floor. Used mainly for people staying round etc. but it seems to work fine. Couldn't comment on the rest of it though.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I have the gaiters and self inflating mattress and both are great.

I also have the down ultra lite bag which has unrealisitc temp ratings but other than that its a good 2-3 season light bag

Also have one of their double quick beds but thats more luxury camping :p

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I've bought a few bits from Tesco. Inflatable mattress which was good. Headtorch, it works, although it's not the brightest but for the money ok. A folding cube water container which did the job but is really flimsy cheap plastic and taints the water with the taste of the plastic. Small aluminium cookset, one pot, frypan/lid, two plates and two mugs. Again did the job except that you need asbestos gloves to hold the mugs if they've got hot liquid in them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE