termination of paracord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
got a few lengths at the car boot

a bit ragged on the ends, do I heat seal them like I do normal cordage??

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup - just play a hot lighter over them. Be careful though - melted nylon drips, catches fire and stays hot a long time

Red

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Mind how you go! Currently nursing a nasty burn after my four year old thought I was being naughty burning the end of my paracord so he blew it out. Nice bit of dripping hot nylon on my finger!

Bless him:banghead:

Pib

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Dam i must be old and learned a lot i never have burnt my finger yet. All i do spit on my finger then just do a little roll real fast done.:confused: :confused:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Best way I have found is to heat up a blunt knife:eek: , such as a table knife, and melt through rather than cut, this works on kern-mantle climbing rope too. If you burn it sometimes the outer melts away and leaves the threads so doesn't work that well.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
The sailing shops normally cut synthetic rope with a soldering iron - gun type with the blade. - Same effect as the blunt knife.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
you can either...

a - cut the cord and burn the ends
b - wrap tape around the section you intend to cut and then cut through the tape
c - become fond of frayed cord

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Personally, I'm going to stick to burning the end! I'm just going to avoid doing it near 4 year olds who are really good at blowing things out! :D

Pib

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Melt end with a match or lighter then tap with licked finger. This seems to seal the inner to the outer and seal the end with melted outer. It's the technique I learned on boot laces years ago.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
One thing to watch with melting is that the blob of melted rope can be very sharp - if a line passes through your hands, the end can cut into your skin. I saw this very thing happen on a canoeing trip - a lad sliced his hand open on nylon cord and although he didn't need stitches, it was the end of the trip for him.

If you're going to use long lengths of paracord (or similar) you might want to consider whipping instead.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I was wondering if it would be different seeing as there are two layers (unlike normal cordage)

(yes, I `do` know how to heatseal cord, honest!)

another method I have seen done on boats is to use a bit of heatshrink tubing. (something which has a thousand uses)

Looking though what I have got I seem to have 7 lengths of about 15-20 foot each, now is the time to learn some cordage projects!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE