Tents left at Glastonbury!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
that is awful.

it sickens me now I know this and being aware of the 'Calais Jungle'...
how can people be so callous.
just grateful some charities will benefit.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
The thing is that it is cheap as chips kit, cheaper than the ticket to get in, and a lot cheaper than a hotel or B&B or similar.

It isn't just Glasto, it is many other of the festivals mentality...

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Often the mentality of a huge majority of festival going types, i used to work behind the scenes at many of the biggest outdoor music festivals in Europe and many folks who attend these see the clean up as part of what their tickets have paid for and they wander around the place leaving filth in their wakes not even using simple things like litter bins, leaving time is all about taking away as little as possible and getting out of there as quick as they can

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
It isn't just Glasto, it is many other of the festivals mentality...

Too true

After Download and the deluge and the mud there was so much stuff!

Next to us was a teepee that had leaked and just left. If I wasn't with a group who were on the clock to get home I would have gone back and wombled that and fixed it :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Often the mentality of a huge majority of festival going types, i used to work behind the scenes at many of the biggest outdoor music festivals in Europe and many folks who attend these see the clean up as part of what their tickets have paid for and they wander around the place leaving filth in their wakes not even using simple things like litter bins, leaving time is all about taking away as little as possible and getting out of there as quick as they can

Were you unlucky enough to encounter the new trend of bringing a bottomless latrine tent? Disgusting people!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Not all of those tents are cheap as chips, some of them are easily over a £100.
Compared with a hotel or B&B the same week in the area that is still cheap as chips, especially when you multiply by two, four or six people sharing.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
In fairness, after a group of teens or tweenies have vomited, urinated and copulated in those tents, the majority are probably only fit for incineration.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Were you unlucky enough to encounter the new trend of bringing a bottomless latrine tent? Disgusting people!

Thankfully the only clean up crew i used to work was the final site inspection where we were all (just about everyone who was left on site at that point) in a big line about 1.5m apart walking slowly looking at the floor making sure that not even a single cigarette butt or drugs packet was left on site, many places that the events were held had penalty fines in place per item found once you had officially left the site and declared it clean

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I suppose if you were to look for a silver lining to the waste aspect.......a charity would wait a long time to get so much stuff donated

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
My parents picked up an outland oakland xl tent with extension (rrp £760) that a couple had dropped in the bins at a campsite, so it's not just festivals

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's another huge festival going group of shabby, messy people = those who try to summit Everest.
Have you ever seen the mess that they have left behind?

At least the cheap(?)abandoned kit you're faced with can be used again somehow.

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
I was at this year's Glastonbury (my first ever!) & definitely think it's a class thing, especially with the bigger tents.
Us northerners (& those on lower incomes) took our tents. The rest left them. I was shocked at how few pop ups there were left! They are the ones that cost £20 so easily throwawayable.
There was no way I was leaving my bargain £15 argos pro action hike lite/tiger paws 1 man!

It wasn't just Glastonbury though. I was at Willowman the weekend before & that's only about 1000 people. I actually took home one of the left tents from there lol a nice 2 man regatta with big porch. Gifted it on to my brother & nephew so they can do cycle camping

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I was at this year's Glastonbury (my first ever!) & definitely think it's a class thing, especially with the bigger tents.
Us northerners (& those on lower incomes) took our tents. The rest left them. I was shocked at how few pop ups there were left! They are the ones that cost £20 so easily throwawayable.
There was no way I was leaving my bargain £15 argos pro action hike lite/tiger paws 1 man!

It wasn't just Glastonbury though. I was at Willowman the weekend before & that's only about 1000 people. I actually took home one of the left tents from there lol a nice 2 man regatta with big porch. Gifted it on to my brother & nephew so they can do cycle camping

I think you're probably right, it would never have dawned on me to leave anything behind no matter how muddy or broken. My dad would've killed me for one thing, things were only thrown out when they physically could no longer be saved or repurposed.

I also wonder though if it is a damning indictment on the incessant consumerism today, you see a similar thing with smart phones.
Back in the day a Nokia was for life now smartphones are only for a season!?
I keep getting phonecalls telling me I'm due for an upgrade and as I try to explain my phone works fine and I'm very happy thanks, I can definitely hear the condescension from them when they assume I don't understand they're offering me a newer shinier model.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've been to several festivals and its all the same, hundreds of tents, as well as other bits of kit are left behind since its too much hassle to pack it away. Every time I've went I've took a cheap tent and sleep kit, purely for the reason that you aren't always there to look after it and you don't know who's going about. I've seen people at the end of a few festivals douse their tents in lighter fluid, white spirit etc.. and light them, sleeping kit and all, it's simply the mentality of some. Admittedly there's been a few times the kit I've used has got more damaged than what would be worth repairing so its been binned.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE