Tentipi - your thoughts...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Hi all, can anybody who owns, has used or has seen in the material a tentipi give me your thoughts on it and let me know what you have and haven't got, especially if you've bought one of the accessories and not needed/used it.

I'm definately going to get one, but there are so many options I really don't know what to get and then there is the issue of the costs involved in a good tentipi set up!

For anyone not familiar with these check out :-

www.tentipi.com

and their UK distributer appears to be :-

http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/

My biggest problem is deciding whether the Varrie is really worth all the extra money over the Arran (which is the same material) and whether to go canvas or lightweight (where the lightweight is more waterproof, but has more condensation). Whats the canvas like in driving rain for a start?

I'm leaning towards size 7 as this isn't a tent I'm likely to be carrying far on my back anywhere (I have a Hex 3 for that), so weight isn't so much of an issue and I want a good base camp style tent which I will probably use with one of the wood burning stoves on colder evenings.

Anybody got the floor and/or inner tent? Which did you buy as there is a big difference in price again between the versions available and I wonder if they are worth the extra money...

Cheers, ta, thanks very much.

Geoff

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi have used a Arran 5 lite for a couple of years. I spent a lot of time using it in all weathers. It has been up in some really bad storms. No problems with its performance. Condensation from the nylon is minimal due to the good ventilation. Although when opening the door first thing in the morning i normally have to brush my head against the damp tent wall. the zip is a long way away.

I have had had a couple of fires in it in the winter to test its performance. The tentipi website shows the use of a fire box in the nylon version. My experiences have not been a success so far. My first attempt used poor quality fuel. Even with the top vent cap fully open the somke level was too low to be acceptable.. Attempt 2 used drier wood with the bark removed to reduce smoke. This time the smoke level was fine for sleeping and the tent heated up well. However i cannot get past the fact that i have a fire in a nylon tent and watch every glowing spark with fear that my pride and joy is about to melt. The ceiling height should prevent it but I am paranoid.

The best solution would be to use a small charcoal brazier.

The best purchase although i bulked at the £200 price tag was the floor. it opens for the fire box and greatly improves the overall performance of the tent.

I have used the canvas varries in the past too. Good tents. Heavy and expensive but will last a lifetime when used correctly. the extra features are worth while i think if your going to use the tent a lot in the winter with a heater.

I found that the stove is fuel needy and i had to be careful not to be either roasting or cool. More experience using the stove would probably over come this. I find the tents easy to put out with one person regardless of size.

My only complaint is that drying and airing them when i return home is a pain as they are not small. I live in a very small house.

To conclude i have used an Arran 5 a lot and really like it. I will in the furture purchase a Varrie 9 in canvas. i feel though that nto get Value for money from these beasts you need to be using them a lot. I would probbaly pruchase a cheaper option if i was an occasional car camper.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have an Arran 5 Lite too..
katas.png

fantastic tent.. i would suggest anyone who thinks the initial outlay is worth it because that will use it enough should go for it!

have a look at some of these threads:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=7975&highlight=kata
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=6958&highlight=tentipi
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=4560&highlight=*kata*
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=4217&highlight=Moskoselkatan
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=39653#post39653

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I use a arran 7 as a base for scout camps etc,

The quality of build is fantastic and quite frankly you will never want to sleep in anything else

We have the stove as well which though eats fuel is brilliant

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
i was lucky enough to pick up a canvas varrie 5 second hand (which made it affordable for me), i think if you are going to use it regularly i would certainly recommend a tentipi, although i haven't seen any of their other models, the build quality of mine is excellent and i don't think you could go far wrong whichever one you opt for.
Personally, if weight isn't an issue, i'd opt for canvas, mine has coped fine with everything the scottish weather has thrown at it and i haven't had any issues with condensation, even when cooking inside. I think the canvas is more suited to having a fire inside aswell. Personally, i think it just feels nice under canvas and to me it even sounds better when it's windy or raining.
There is plenty of room inside the 5 but given the option i'd go for the 7 as i reckon it would be better for having a firebox or stove inside, you have to keep an open fire pretty small inside the 5. I've also used a charcoal bbq inside, which was toasty, but i had a carbon monoxide detector and i didn't sleep with the charcoal inside the tent. I'm sure you know already, but smoldering charcoal pumps out lots and lots of lovely carbon monoxide and, apparently, can easily kill in an enclosed space.
I don't have a floor or inner with mine and so far i haven't really missed them (although i'm yet to see what it's like for the peak of the scottish midge season
without an inner :eek: ). I reckon the floor looks well designed if you can afford it, i just use a £15 ground sheet / tarp and while it's not perfect, or self tensioning like the proper one, my gear keeps it flat and i haven't had any real problems that would warrant the extra expense. I cut a slice in the tarp from the pole to the door, if that makes sense, so that i can put it in (around the pole) after the tent is up. That way i can fold it open and away from the door and come in and out without dragging muck over the groundsheet and i can have a fire or stove on the floor without burning the groundsheet.
I'm not sure of the differences in models but one feature i appreciate in the varrie is the control of venting from inside.It works very well and you don't have to go outside to adjust the roof venting if it's raining or the wind changes direction in the middle of the night, but again, without seeing the other models, i couldn't say if this alone warrants the extra expense.
I'll shut up now, but if you can't guess from my waffle, i love my tipi and whichever way you go, i'm sure you'll love yours too :D

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Are the tipi-style tents any good in strong winds? I realised that some wind is good for smoke-clearing purposes, but how do they cope with strong, gusty winds with the one pole?

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hi :)
i haven't had any problems so far and i'm often pitched next to lochs where it can be pretty windy without much shelter. I reckon as long as you are firmly pegged in you shouldn't have any problems.The tentipi comes with tensioning straps for pegs at ground level all around the tent, with additional storm cords/guys about half way up that you can use in stormy conditions. The tentipi's are "lavvu", which is a traditional sammi design i think, made for hard use in arctic conditions. While they are taller than most tents, they are basically round and so they dont mind which direction the wind is coming from.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I have been using an Arran 5 Light for quite a few years now. It is probably lighter than the 3 man tent that we used before that. I have been out in all weathers and at all times of year.

I am about 6'3" and like the headroom to be able to stand up inside. There are usually only 2 of us in there, but we have loads of room to roll about and plenty of room for lots of kit when we spend a few days out or are up to something that needs lots of kit.

Condensation can be an issue if you dont open the vent up all the way in wet conditions. The zip on the door is a double one - so you can chose to open from the top if you dont mind stepping through an opening. I usually send Mel to open the zip - as she can get at it with a bit more ease ;)

I am looking to buy myself a larger model, and I think that we will treat ourselves to a larger / heavier Varrie. The change in material will make me more comfortable with the thought of fire and I will probably sort out a wood burner. I will keep hold of the Arran 5 light, but it will be more of a light travelling tent.

We do use a floor and it does improve the experience. It is well thought out, like the rest of the tent. If you were to think about using something else, take plenty of time to think about the design and material, as Tentipi have created a great bit of kit that suits the application.

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Thanks for your input guys and the links as well, didn't realise they were so well discussed already!

Think I've made a decision, its gonna be a size 7 varrie in canvas with the cheaper vagge floor. Will probably forgo the inner tent and see how it goes. Quite tempted by the stove, but its quite expensive, but it does look ideal and will encourage the wife to spend some time out with me (though that might not be such a good thing...).

Will certainly get the larger firebox as well for versatility.

Anyone tried any of their other products? The big cooking pan thingy on legs looks like a good idea for cooking on an open fire. Might be tempted into one of them as well!

Fortunately I have a share scheme maturing in April which will pay for it all :D

That is unless the wife gets her hands on it when it clears into the joint account, in which case it will probably be a new washing and drying machine instead!!!

Geoff

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
I have no experience of the tentipi, but was speaking to Andy from Outdoorcode.

Send him a mail on here, I remember him saying that he could do them at a cheaper price than I could find elsewhere, dont quote me, but I think instead of £1100, it was more £900.

If he doesn't have one in stock I'm sure he'll be able to source one for you at a cheaper price than you could find anywhere else on the net.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
as far as i know Andrew doesnt do the tentipi range.. though he does stock some similar Lavvu's which i know he uses regularly so they are well worth a look.. his user name on this forum is outdoorcode.

as a side note i have the tentipi small fire box, i would certainly suggest you get one if you intend to have a fire in your tipi!

make sure you write us a review of whatever you get once you have given it a try!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE