tentipi or hellsport ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulbibby

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2008
Kempsford Cotswolds
hello all,
im gonna bite the bullet and buy a tipi with a stove and want frank advice on which tipi/lavvu to buy
i have spent time in both and found both to be very good tents in british climate.
any help will be great plus what model and material would be brilliant as im not that fussed on weight but not canvas please !!??
cheers all

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have 2 Helsports - the Lavulight and Porsanger 8 - 10:D

Both are excellent and have seen some pretty cold weather off...

DSCN2524.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

DSCN2379.jpg

HTH,

Simon

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have a Tentipi Varrie/Safir and a cheaper Helsport model (Rejnfjell (?) broadly same as Porsanger), so maybe the views of others on this forum about Helsports are more valid. You can see both pitched in my avatar. I found that my polycotton Tentipi is easier to dry out when taken down than my Helsport, since it will dry out "through" the material whereas the all-nylon Helsport "holds" the moisture and has to be moved a lot to dry out properly.

Both appear very well made.

On my Helsport the main anchor straps are under the skirt rather than on the edges of the skirt and the skirt therefore flaps around in windy conditions and makes the inside of the lavvu cold (or at least it did until I added pegging points to the skirt). I find fitting and adjusting the top hat a fiddle compared to the mechanism on the Tentipi. I also found my Helsport leaks around the main strap anchor points and condensation is a problem, despite the excellent venting.

I greatly prefer the chimney exit hole arrangements on my Tentipi (Varrie/Safir) to the simpler arrangement on the Helsport. I am also much less nervous with a hot chimney in the polycotton Tentipi than I am with the all Nylon Helsport.

The Helsport groundsheet that I got to go with mine was a disaster and in the end I chopped it up for other projects.

On the other hand the Helsport is much much lighter, to the extent that you could contemplate carrying it on a backpack between three of you. It's also good value for money compared to £1000 for a Tentipi Varrie.

NS

Last edited:

paulbibby

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2008
Kempsford Cotswolds
I have a Tentipi Varrie/Safir and a cheaper Helsport model (Rejnfjell (?) broadly same as Porsanger), so maybe the views of others on this forum about Helsports are more valid. You can see both pitched in my avatar. I found that my polycotton Tentipi is easier to dry out when taken down than my Helsport, since it will dry out "through" the material whereas the all-nylon Helsport "holds" the moisture and has to be moved a lot to dry out properly.

Both appear very well made.

On my Helsport the main anchor straps are under the skirt rather than on the edges of the skirt and the skirt therefore flaps around in windy conditions and makes the inside of the lavvu cold (or at least it did until I added pegging points to the skirt). I find fitting and adjusting the top hat a fiddle compared to the mechanism on the Tentipi. I also found my Helsport leaks around the main strap anchor points and condensation is a problem, despite the excellent venting.

I greatly prefer the chimney exit hole arrangements on my Tentipi (Varrie/Safir) to the simpler arrangement on the Helsport. I am also much less nervous with a hot chimney in the polycotton Tentipi than I am with the all Nylon Helsport.

The Helsport groundsheet that I got to go with mine was a disaster and in the end I chopped it up for other projects.

On the other hand the Helsport is much much lighter, to the extent that you could contemplate carrying it on a backpack between three of you. It's also good value for money compared to £1000 for a Tentipi Varrie.

NS

brilliant reply !! thanks that is just the reply i was hoping for

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
whilst on the subject, i was thinking of picking one of the Tentipi Safir 7 up, can you get away with just the outer or do you really need the inside set up to. my plan was to first pick up the safir and then later save for the stove, but add the inside to that list and it sure is expensive......

Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE