Tentipi Eldfell Pro9 versus Helsport Stove - Which is better?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gearpac

Nov 6, 2007
North Wales
Hi Folks,
I had a good search on the forums, and couldn't find if anyone had actually done any comparrisons on quality and performance for these two stoves?

I have a tentipi varrie 9, and am looking for a wood burning stove for it.

What ever I buy, I want it to last and I don't mind (grudgingling that is) paying for quality.

The helsport is cheaper by nearly half the price, and the current drescriptions say, made of stainless steel, yet, I read many comments of it rusting?
So, surely it cannot be stainless, or am I missing something?

The question is, if you wanted a good performing wood burning stove which will last many many years, which would be best?
I realise this is a subjective question, but I would love to hear peoples own views and experiences. Given the Eldfell Stove is twice as much as the Helsport, is that reflected in the quality?

Cheers

John

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi

I used to have a Helsport and never really got on with it, it didn't rust though, I have some experience of the older Tentipi stoves and didn't find that those were satisfactory either. The newer ones do look quite nice though.

I think if I was in the market for a tipi stove I'd check out the Frontier stoves from Bison, I don't know how they perform but they look bloody good.

2evMurk.jpg

Let us know how you get on.

:)

Gearpac

Nov 6, 2007
North Wales
Hi, Thanks, have looked at the frontiers stoves. They look ok. Just not sure on how durable over long term usage that are. Not seeing one in the flesh. Am slightly concerned they might just rust badly pretty quickly once the blacking burns off. I don't want to have to spend an afternoon after each trip out, re-blacking the stove.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi, Thanks, have looked at the frontiers stoves. They look ok. Just not sure on how durable over long term usage that are. Not seeing one in the flesh. Am slightly concerned they might just rust badly pretty quickly once the blacking burns off. I don't want to have to spend an afternoon after each trip out, re-blacking the stove.

Hi

It was the lack of durability that put me off the Helsport (it started to fall apart in less than a year) so maybe the Tentipi one is the one to go for. That said I was put off the older Tentipi stoves when the bottom fell out of one on a trip in Sweden, it was -40 outside and reassembling a red hot stove is quite tricky.

Again, do let us know how you get on. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've heard a few tales of the Tentipi stoves bottom falling out. I use a Frontier stove in my Tentipi Safir. Blacking stays on it, get's a very, very slight raised section on the hotplate when very hot, try to keep the chimney clean by doing it every three days or so - especially if burning softwoods. Great for cooking on, My mate did make a witches hat for it which stopped any smoke outs due to wind or pressure variance. Use the silicone flashing kit to put the chimney through. Had for a couple of years now.

Gearpac

Nov 6, 2007
North Wales
That's an interesting looking stove. Sheet steel, from the look of the welding. 2mm is pretty chunky, and a separate grill/ ash tray would certainly protect the bottom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE