Tentipi CP7 Waterproofing - experience/suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Guys, I know there is a wealth of experience and expertise on here, how the heck do I reproof a Tentipi CP7 without breaking the bank or doing it a damage?

It also needs a clean first as it has been left up for a year+ (no fire) and is a little mouldy in places as well as leaking significantly.

Ta, Phil

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
I don't know the tent and just took a quick squint at the Tentipi website. If the fabric was just cotton canvas I'd say use Thompson's Waterseal ultra. I've done a lot of canvases with it and it's good for over a year of "commercial" use in my experience. If it's the cotton/polyester mix, I'm less certain. I have used it on Regentex - sort of cotton canvas with a man-made ripstop-type of thing worked into it. I'd say on that it's OK, but maybe not as good as on cotton.

Sorry that I can't be more specific.

cheers,
Leif

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Use a pure soap like Nikwax or Grangers to gentley scrub with a long handled medium bristle brush, rinse it well and then paint/weed spray gun on some Nikwax Tent and UV proof. Make sure you do it while the tent is WET you get better petetration. The Nikwax proofer is better than the Grangers, and the UV proofing is worth while.

Good luck,

GB.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The concern is always whether the reproofers other than the extortionate Tentipi ones are safe with a fire. Tentipi's is fire retardant, I suppose the others could be once they have dried, but no one seems to know for sure...

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
We have to do fire testing on our canvasses. There was a slight reduction in flame resistance, but it still passed the test. Actually, I think the test parameters are a bit odd and have never exactly filled me with confidence. So...

Cheers,
Leif

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Thanks for the suggestions/info guys.

I hear the rumour that Thompson's changed the Waterseal formula and now say it isn't suitable for tents, drat!

Does anyone know when the name change occurred for the present Tentipi range? i.e. When they went from Arran and Varrie to the current Onyx, Zirkon and Safir?

Update: Looks like the names changed in 2010.

The guy at Taunton Leisure (who are the England suppliers of Tentipi) said it is OK to use Fabsil universal cleaner first and then when bone dry re-waterproof with Fabsil. If the Tentipi still has its waterproofing but needs a clean then obviously do NOT use any cleaner just warm water and a brush as the original waterproofing is wax based not Silicon based. I think the wax is used by Tentipi so it is max. fire retardant and effective but to buy the stuff is eyewateringly expensive and massively overpriced! Obviously Tentipi will only recommend reproofing with the original expensive stuff and I'm also not taking responsibility if you use the Fabsil. I will have a go at reproofing one of mine with Fabsil when the weather improves and perhaps get back to you on the result. I'm not intending on having an open fire in my Tentipi, only a stove.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE