TenthWonder vs DD - The Big 'BIG' Tarp Off!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
My DD Xl is perfect for winter use.
Ive modded it with some poppers on each end so doors can be clipped shut, ive also added my own tie-out.
Just one required as you only ever need one side pulled out to increase the room.

I would like to see what the TW tarp packs down to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Oh look now we are invading BCUK with Dans inability to decide what kit he needs mither mither mither oooh what about this what about that lol

And so it goes; like an endless middle class anxiety
Its too big for solo camping Danny boy that is a group shelter Thats why we took it over The Basha did the job
Live with it
half the people on this forum don't even go out like us anyway!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Its too big for solo camping Danny boy that is a group shelter ....

half the people on this forum don't even go out like us anyway!

Small Group......

Chair, Dutch Oven... Beer can... ...

I would not put my DD tarp over a fire....

Saying that looks a nice night out

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Like Stu, I also have the full gambit of tarps.

3x3 definitely too small to adequately encapsulate a hammock in the winter (though if you ground dwell and "pitch smart" it's more than adequate).
4.5x3 (XL) has the same downfall as the 3x3 if you pitch it laterally, but pitched along the ridge needs a hell of a lot of clearance between the trees (and you still have to stoop under it for a full rough-weather pitch). I also think it's way too long for any ground-dwelling solo purposes.
4x4 is just... perfect! Higher ridge so less stooping, while big enough in both dimensions to create a sealed-in hammock pitch.

I was using the 3x3 a fair bit this summer/autumn, but I've already switched back to the 4x4 now that the colder nights have arrived.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Like Stu, I also have the full gambit of tarps.

3x3 definitely too small to adequately encapsulate a hammock in the winter (though if you ground dwell and "pitch smart" it's more than adequate).
4.5x3 (XL) has the same downfall as the 3x3 if you pitch it laterally, but pitched along the ridge needs a hell of a lot of clearance between the trees (and you still have to stoop under it for a full rough-weather pitch). I also think it's way too long for any ground-dwelling solo purposes.
4x4 is just... perfect! Higher ridge so less stooping, while big enough in both dimensions to create a sealed-in hammock pitch.

I was using the 3x3 a fair bit this summer/autumn, but I've already switched back to the 4x4 now that the colder nights have arrived.

Think that is were the 4x4 size tarp really shows it self and its benefit, is in the winter and really foul weather, and is such a bonus not to have to stoop... a biggy when the tarp is brought down to the ground and ends folded in, means you can hammock at a decent height, and not have ice rubbing off on to your kit/bedding.....

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
It's a shame there's not a group buy going on these big tarps

Myself the benefits outweigh any extra few £'s saved on a group buy... :), winters coming and if you camp out all winter regularly then the extra will pay your back...in comfort...

Any fool can be uncomfortable..)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Well they don't do they ?

Hey, don't look at me, I was out there with you in the Devonshire Hurricane! Where were all the fair weather Bushcrafters that don't know what fun is? I love going out in the woods during 80mph winds and sideways rain and, erm, sleeping in the car. I really missed out on the Tipi experience!

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
It's a shame there's not a group buy going on these big tarps

Sandbag47 usually runs a GB for DD once a year in March I have been told. I'm mulling over the idea of approaching TW for a GB coming up to next year's Moot. I've definitely got my eye on a 4x4 TW tarp though I am tempted to try making a ripstop Silnylon one myself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTZPllgqSc

Last edited:

HoFFdog

May 20, 2012
The mild mild west!
Your right Steve. I'm almost certain that most people on this forum don't go out like us. That's because the embarrassment that is your amateurish thrown-together vision of what constitutes as a suitible 'bag & a basha' setup, frequently ends up looking like there has been a rather messy and probably fatal parachute accident in the woods!!

All the feedback I've recieved from members of this forum on questions I have asked has been a fast track way of ending up with kit that I am very happy with, as opposed to spuffing my hard earned cash on toss.

Both You AND Mouse have lowered the tone yet again on a thread that initially started as an adult and very interesting discussion on medium to large sized tarpaulins. I would never take any advice from either of you about kit, as most of yours is pulled out of skips or just nicked ("urban foraging" as you call it) and Mouse is some maniac who thinks spending winter in an issue jungle bag is "funny"; storing an axe safely is having it buried in his knee cap; and that eating large quantities of Fly Agaric for breakfast is perfectly safe despite experiencing chronic sickness & profound recurring lucid dreams that he actually had a large Jamaican girlfriend.

The two of you make a mockery of bushcraft and this forum. Now please, make your leave from this post and let us resume the enlightening debate on medium to large sized tarpaulins, THAT I have you know, has had a hand in me ultimately providing you cretins with a dry & pleasant base camp on our last bimble.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hark at he!! The voice of reason Thanks for your critical review of Mouses and my own kit I will bear it in mind when your over-engineered,overpriced and weighty set up gives you the problems it inevitably will.I like your jumbo sized tarp actually but I wouldn't carry it. So Thanks for that

"The two of you make a mockery of bushcraft and this forum"
ROFL

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Your right Steve. I'm almost certain that most people on this forum don't go out like us. That's because the embarrassment that is your amateurish thrown-together vision of what constitutes as a suitible 'bag & a basha' setup, frequently ends up looking like there has been a rather messy and probably fatal parachute accident in the woods!!

All the feedback I've recieved from members of this forum on questions I have asked has been a fast track way of ending up with kit that I am very happy with, as opposed to spuffing my hard earned cash on toss.

Both You AND Mouse have lowered the tone yet again on a thread that initially started as an adult and very interesting discussion on medium to large sized tarpaulins. I would never take any advice from either of you about kit, as most of yours is pulled out of skips or just nicked ("urban foraging" as you call it) and Mouse is some maniac who thinks spending winter in an issue jungle bag is "funny"; storing an axe safely is having it buried in his knee cap; and that eating large quantities of Fly Agaric for breakfast is perfectly safe despite experiencing chronic sickness & profound recurring lucid dreams that he actually had a large Jamaican girlfriend.

The two of you make a mockery of bushcraft and this forum. Now please, make your leave from this post and let us resume the enlightening debate on medium to large sized tarpaulins, THAT I have you know, has had a hand in me ultimately providing you cretins with a dry & pleasant base camp on our last bimble.

I'm finding it hard to find a suitable argument so ill just add

BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
OOH! I hate it when i can't play, have not met the Hoff or the Mouse, but have spent many a day and night with the Red, not sure if this is serious or just pals joshing? Would love an answer.

Ivan..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE