TenthWonder vs DD - The Big 'BIG' Tarp Off!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HoFFdog

May 20, 2012
The mild mild west!
I am currently accumulating kit to get into the joys of hammocking. I have a TW Hornet custom hammock 1.8m x 3m.

The standard tarp size for solo hammocking seems to be 3 x 3 but i like the idea of having a little more usable shelter space especially when camping with my girlfriend. The BIG tarps that are clocking in at my budget and within the UK seem to be Tenth Wonders Cornelius 3m x 4m Tarp and DD's XL 4.5m x 3m Tarp.

The main difference seems to be that the TW Cornelius has additional fixing points in the form of side pull outs but the DD is a tad bigger. Does anyone have experience with these two tarps? Will the side pull outs of the TW be a handy feature over the slightly bigger DD? I haven't any experience with tarps or tarpology so don't really know what features are favourable.

Also, what are the pros/cons of rectangular tarps compared to square tarps in terms of config possibilities or doesn't it matter at all? I was looking at the DD 4m x 4m tarp as well as despite the fact it is listed as a group shelter it's not really any difference in size from the XL 4.5m x 3m the only real difference being that its square not rectangle.

Tenth Wonder Cornelius Tarp 3m x 4m
http://www.twhammocks.co.uk/Tarpaulins/Cornelius-Tarpaulin/Cornelius-Tarpaulin-3-X-4m

DD XL 4.5m x 3m Tarp
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/tarp-xl

DD 4m x 4m Tarp
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/tarp-4x4-large-group-shelter

Any help much appreciated

Dan

coolerking

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2008
Manchester
linktr.ee
I too am pondering a similar thing. If you go on tenth wonder's website, there's also some advertised with doors.... I'm assuming our budgets are similar, I'm putting to and plumping for a model with doors I think.
Theres also a part where I says 'get it cheaper', basically, you have to email them, I have done. I'll let you know what they say in reply.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've got the big DD tarp. It is huge. In fact for most of my applications it is too big, as I mainly camp solo, but I use it when I need a group shelter, and for cold weather hammocking it is good because you can close the ends around the hammock. Problem is finding two trees the right distance apart. 4.5m is a long way.

For ground camping it is probably too big without some good tarpology.

Pics:
Badly pitched on the ground
6628071743_32f80e0ff3_z.jpg
6628073421_09085237d6_z.jpg

As a hammocking aid. Again, not taut because the trees were too close together.
6837384211_2e0bcfccaa.jpg

I can't fault its performance though. I just find it a bit big. Then again, it is supposed to be. :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have all three DD's 3x3, 4x4 and the XL... for me the 3x3 is way to small for hammocking in foul weather, as unless you use the diamond formation the ends of the hammock are open to the elements, then your not covered all that well...

The XL is ok, but very long, and when dropped to the ground in the winter does not give me a high enough ridge...

But the 4x4 seems to work well in all ways that I have tried it so far.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I use a 3x3 cheapo without doors for hammocking, i hang low though. It covers me like a tent, goes right to the ground and i can pull the ends round like doors. I get no weather penetration at all but you do need to be anal about how you set it up, especially as it has no pullouts. A correctly hung hammock (30 degree angle) of a typical size (<= 2.8m) will fit under a 3x3. If hung too taught it can be tricky to cover but that is down to an incorrect hammock hang really.

I set the tarp up like a tent first and set the hammock to the height of the tarp, then tweak both, worked a treat so far and very snug.

I would go for the smaller tarp with the pullouts, it will be big enough for a hammock if your savvy with it. Like i say i use a 3x3 without doors and get both ends closed np, like shug does in his videos. It was only last week i took a real battering in it and stayed dry. The pullouts are godly in function and the tw has those, i wish mine had them.

TW also imo make the better quality and value gear. I have a summer tarp, or rather rain fly and a custom hammock from them, very well made and better value than what i have seen from DD, and that's saying something because dd is good value gear.

The only time i think i should have gone bigger than 3x3 is for the extra height, not length, so as to accommodate a hammock underneath mine for my dogs. I see my 3x3 as my winter tarp and it has given me no reason to doubt it. That being said i ain't tried a 4x4 tarp, so i might not know what im missing and if you don't have a fixed ridge on your hammock i can see the benefits for easy setup :)

Last edited:

HoFFdog

May 20, 2012
The mild mild west!
Thanks for all your input guys. Especially Big Stu 12, that's really interesting feedback about how you found the DD group tarp was actually more suitible for your needs than the XL. I kinda suspected that myself. Looks like I will prob be getting the group DD as the TW Cornelius is out of stock.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
going a bit further with my feelings on tarp size this is what posted when Suffolk guy was looking for tarp...

Size wise I have 3x3, 4x4, 4.5 x 3, and 4ish x 2ish (ponco Tarp).. The 3x3 in my opinon is short for hammocking in the winter/rain unless you use it as a diamond.. but for me the reasons above count it out, I find the 4.5 x 3 a bit too long you have to pick your trees well.. also if you take the tarp to ground the 3 meter lives you a low ridge, myself I find this a pain as I have to stoop under it...this I also find with the 3x3,I have used the 4 x 4 quite a lot find it has plenty of room you can comfortably borito the ends in to form doors and have loads of room, the ridge is also at a nice hight for me and does not restict movement under the Tarp.. the amouint of room also give you loads of admin space it weather is a bit fowl, if you have not got a communial shelter....The only thnig I would say is the 4x4 can be a bit of a sail in V high winds... and can billow in.. I have not found this yet, but some have.The smaller poncho type for me is just for warm sunny times...oh and of course boonie weekends..lolI like the DD's, and have had no problems with them..they have external ridge line loops..and the tarp hangs under them, with a ridge line that runs under the tarp, but that could lead to rain running down the ridge line, under the tarp and driping inside the tarp on to what evers under it... if your hammocking , in to your sleeping kit...., yes you have hanging posibilitys of things , but just add an extra internal ridge line,So to me the 4 x4 is teh best size for my needs...hope my thougths help

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I have the DD XL and find it good to use both lengthways (trees permiting) and widthways (trees closer together), widthways gives you a floor, lengthways gives you doors :)

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
I have the TW 4.5x4.5 with doors. Loads of room for me my kit and a few friends!! apart from setting up when I first got it I have never used the doors and probably wont.

bcuksussexmeetjuly2013008_zps7e204be5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

HoFFdog

May 20, 2012
The mild mild west!
I did get the DD 4x4 group tarp in the end. I took it out last weekend for my first hang with my new TW hammock but ended up using a basha instead when my DD was eyeballed & swiftly hijacked by my bushcrafting comrades to use as basecamp! Anyone else had this problem? ;-)

Last edited:

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I did get the DD 4x4 group tarp in the end. I took it out last weekend for my first hang with my new TW hammock but ended up using a basha instead when my DD was eyeballed & swiftly hijacked by my bushcrafting comrades to use as basecamp! Anyone else had this problem? ;-)

Don't see it as a problem young man see it as a solution ,

Kept us dry didn't it.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Na not at all... tell them tuff its your brains that made sure your got the right shelter.... :). and keep yourself and kit dry...

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Why worry about your tarp size when you need a 60ltr pack just to carry that hammock of yours!

It took you a day to pack it up and a few hours looking for a missing stuff bag.
8a5emaqa.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I must say I have been very pleased with my DD XL but when I buy another I will probably go with the TW Cornelius. 3x4 gives you all the coverage you need and it has side pullouts, ideal. I must say I have been more impressed by TW gear than DD, they have the edge for a number of reasons including what is on their labels!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE