tent stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
just purchased a tentipi tapp varrie 7 lads (another thread) , if you had a new tapp varrie 7 how would you / or how do you heat it.ther is quite a few options and i,m not certain on the one to go for .i like the look of some of the stoves with chimneys etc.but i like gazing into an open fire,i was born and bred with coal fires and have missed them (about 10 years) any ideas on stoves lads pictures would be great.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I'm in the same boat. Ray's last program showed him with a four dog stove in his. Not a bad price really, but shipping might be an issue? The proper tentipi ones are nice but breathtakingly expensive. There's a guy in Devon that has made some stoves*, but he doesn't seem to be answering his phone recently. I've asked a blacksmith friend about making one for me, but he's snowed under at the moment.

Your point about missing the visual aspect of a fire is important. You could always get one with windows in, but it would add to the cost I guess.

* Someone on here must recognise this from the Gathering?

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I spoke to the owners of this very smart stove as they were packing up. They were from Sollihull. Sadly did not get an address. It was very well built and well thought out. Perfect for a kata. Downside was weight! You do not want to be carrying anything like this very far from your vehicle but if you are using a tentipi very likely you are not travelling light anyway so what the hell :D :D ! Swyn

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Yes, it's not exactly canoe-friendly :D. I spoke to the guy that made it a month or so ago, and he makes a range of nice stoves in different sizes. He seems to be away at the moment though.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I saw that stove at the W.G or one very like it. The owner told me they had bought it second hand with the Tapp Varrie from a guy in London, 600 quid for the job lot. I e-mailed woodlore earlier this week about the stove Mr Mears used on the TV and they didnt know which one it was. Now I can e-mail em back and tell em :D

Here's my Arran 7 with an open fire..

DSC00126.jpg

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
evening peeps
i`m in the middle of making one at the mo out of a small gas bottle, i`ll post some pic`s soon so you can have a laff :D ,

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Gill,

Here's my morning coffee gotta go to class soon daily advice:

If you're doing bushcraft, yeah, you'll do fine with what's been posted here already.

If you're climbing, doing an extended trip, or you'll be at altitude, take a real stove, either a Trangia (burning meths produce carbon di-oxide, co2, water wapour, so you won't die of fume inhalation) or a petrol stove, (burned petrol produces carbon di-oxide, that stuff that used to kill miners).

If you want to cook INSIDE a tent, a Trangia will do nicely.

If you don't want to use meths for whatever reason, most modern expedition tents come with a large vestibule that allows you to cook, smoke, lace up your boots and not got completely soaked. Plus, if you're too lazy to get out of your bag, you can lie in your tent and reach out the door and cook under the vestibule. Yeah that's right, I've done it! :D

Cheers mate,

Adam

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
found this supplier in the u.s for tent stoves, there's lots to choose from and plenty of info. on things like how long the stoves hold heat etc.
I've found plenty of other suppliers by searching the stoves / manufacturers listed here and it seems alot of the manufacturers sell direct but i dont know about shipping costs yet....
http://www.walltentshop.com/CatStoves.html

kifaru (u.s again) do an interesting selection of packaway stoves aswell..
http://www.kifaru.net/stovspex.htm
but i've read that a solid fire-box tends to perform better than a collapsable one (if you have room to carry it)

Haven't found anything i would call a bargain yet but some seem reasonable as long as shipping isn't too high.

kata

Jun 7, 2005
lincolnshire
We use a kifaru stove in our arran 7, the lower shipping cost compared to other stoves was one of the reasons we chose it. Its a lot smaller than i thought it would be, but it still gets incredibly hot inside.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
kata said:
We use a kifaru stove in our arran 7, the lower shipping cost compared to other stoves was one of the reasons we chose it. Its a lot smaller than i thought it would be, but it still gets incredibly hot inside.
hello kata:)
hope you dont mind me asking a couple of questions..
how much was the shipping?
what size stove do you use?
Approx. how long does it hold heat without feeding?
How does the chimney perform? (i think the roll away foil is a genius idea, i was considering making a simple, small stove and buying just the chimney from kifaru)
cheers :)

kata

Jun 7, 2005
lincolnshire
happy camper said:
hello kata:)
hope you dont mind me asking a couple of questions..
how much was the shipping?
what size stove do you use?
Approx. how long does it hold heat without feeding?
How does the chimney perform? (i think the roll away foil is a genius idea, i was considering making a simple, small stove and buying just the chimney from kifaru)
Sure
Shipping was around $45, we have the medium stove with the longest chimney, the first time out the chimney is a right pain, but it soon learns its shape and now its just a question of putting the rings on. Pignut from the forum made a new collar as the one you get is pretty pants! We also made a heatshield for the top of the chimney, I'm not sure if this is essential or not (kifaru tents are reinforced where the chimney exits i think) but we were getting paranoid with the heat on the canvas. If you really pile the logs into the stove it will roar for about 1 hour (with all sides + the bottom of the chimney glowing red!) then it will go for around 2/3 hours giving out decent heat depending on wood and vents open closed,
It should be fairly easy to knock one up as it's quite a simple design....
Hope this helps.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
kata said:
Sure
Shipping was around $45, we have the medium stove with the longest chimney, the first time out the chimney is a right pain, but it soon learns its shape and now its just a question of putting the rings on. Pignut from the forum made a new collar as the one you get is pretty pants! We also made a heatshield for the top of the chimney, I'm not sure if this is essential or not (kifaru tents are reinforced where the chimney exits i think) but we were getting paranoid with the heat on the canvas. If you really pile the logs into the stove it will roar for about 1 hour (with all sides + the bottom of the chimney glowing red!) then it will go for around 2/3 hours giving out decent heat depending on wood and vents open closed,
It should be fairly easy to knock one up as it's quite a simple design....
Hope this helps.
hello again :)
cheers for your answers, sorry for asking more questions but which bit is the collar? I was worried about a heatshield aswell, how did you make one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE