Tent Stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've just bought a Robens Klondike which comes with a stove flue flap so I fancy getting a stove :)

There seem to be a load of options but most of them look quite flimsy and, to be honest, I suspect a lot of them are the same stove sold under a different name. I want a decent quality stove without paying over the top :)

What stoves have people used and can recommend (or tell me not to get!)? The Robens Denali is £225, Outbacker £140, then other makes (OKL, DWD,HXSD) from £125 to £160 - the list is endless.

I could make one I know, but I've got too many other projects on at the moment.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Interested in this too. I keep meaning to get one for the Lavvo, but can’t decide what’s best. What I do like about the outback we is the heat shield set up, but I would be tempted to cut the legs down if possible as imo it looks like it sits really high.

I’ve also toyed with the idea of building one (again) but for the cost of the materials, flue pipes, and other bits I don’t think it would be that much cheaper to do one to as good of a standard.

Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not speaking from a position of any knowledge or experience but i keep hearing this name mentioned ....... They are not cheap mind .....

Ouch, you're right :)

I don't think I can justify paying more for the stove than the tent! However, they do look good quality.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
I ran a Frontier stove for about 10 years in the tent and in my allotment shed. It's the 3 legged job, semi-cylindrical with a flat top with a lidded hole in it. It was pretty decent, got extra flue pipes for it and made my own spacer for the hole in the tent, also bought the water boiler.

Observations:

Surface rust within 18 months, re-blacked it a couple of times then gave up. Otherwise durability excellent. I gave it and my old tent to a local Scout troop who are still using

The retaining pins for the legs were kind of fiddly.

The water boiler was cool, but the tap was permanently a bit drippy.

It's heavy.

The long legs (see comment by someone above) may seem a bit much but they do keep the hot bit above doss-bag level, a good thing...

They are now available under several brands, the Outbacker (original) looks to be exactly the same.

I know run a Helsport in the tent (gave up the allotment) and it's lighter and stainless, but more expensive. It's also lower to the ground and glows cherry red on full chat, which is a bit unnerving as my new tent is smaller.

I'd say the Frontier/Outbacker type is good value for the money.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Funny you should ask this, ... I have just ordered a Winnerwell nomad in medium today.
Did a fair bit of research and this one seemed to fit the bill. Managed to get it for £299. Still quite expensive but the best price I could find.
Just got to get a suitable tent to go with it now:)

Reactions: Broch

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Is there much difference between the two would you say?
Not as far as I know in use. Although the outbacker one has the side wings which are useful.
Depends whether you like the square 4 leg style or the rounded 3 leg one.
I have an Ozpig which I love. Just got to extend the chimney so I can use it in my trailer awning.

Reactions: FerlasDave

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Not as far as I know in use. Although the outbacker one has the side wings which are useful.
Depends whether you like the square 4 leg style or the rounded 3 leg one.
I have an Ozpig which I love. Just got to extend the chimney so I can use it in my trailer awning.

Thanks. They must both take a similar size fuel too then? I feel the outbacker is slightly longer, but I could be wrong.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Used an frontier stove for a good few years and really couldn’t fault it, have since upgraded to a winnerwell stainless stove and it’s a very well thought out stove and the quality is excellent.

Attachments

• 050F288B-B75D-4B86-8395-C55D9C97E6AA.jpeg
    050F288B-B75D-4B86-8395-C55D9C97E6AA.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 16

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Used an frontier stove for a good few years and really couldn’t fault it, have since upgraded to a winnerwell stainless stove and it’s a very well thought out stove and the quality is excellent.
Glad to hear your happy with it.
Out of interest, what are you using as a groundsheet. Is it just a tarp and what's that under your center pole?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE