Tent Making with Ventile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
For some time now I have been considering making a canvas hottent for use on snowshoe treks here in Canada. Finding a lite-weight canvas has been the sticky point. Having investigated the website for ventile it appears that tents have been manufactured using the material.

Here are the questions:
  1. Has anyone on the forum made or seen a DIY tent using ventile?
  2. What recommendations regarding needle/thread size would you suggest?
  3. What fabric weights would you suggest L34, L28, L24, L19?
  4. Techniques for working with ventile, finishing seams/edges?
Thank you in advance for any information, photos or advice you would be willing to share.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi Grey Owl
Good idea mate but it will be seriously expensive ;) I am waiting to hear back from Ventile.co.uk for over one month now!
They have not answered my emails or messages left on their voice mail. I guess they don't need the business and that the recession is not touching them :)
You should get plenty of advice from the experts on here and I believe that Andywinks has his own textile manufacturing company that produce tarps, etc so he might be a good one to ask?

Craeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE