Tension Trays, ***Photo Heavy***

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
These are the simplest of things to make, use up scrap materials, can be made with anything from willow to dockens, and are very useful indeed.
The little one that I show being made here takes about ten minutes, and will keep a hot pot off the tent floor, insulate a pot or mug from the chill of the ground, can be used as a plate or a steamer or draining tray.
Larger ones make dry comfortable seats or kneeling pads, boot racks, dish drainers, a dry bit under a hammock to put your stocking feet down onto, will stop a hot stove sinking through snow or provide a dry bed for a fire or a prop for one of those disposable bbq's.
As I said, useful :approve:

Basically make a hoop. Cross two sticks through it and then fill in alternatively weaving pieces above the cross stick and then below. Trim the ends so they stick out a bit, thin the tips of the cross piece and thread back through. Finished, secure and takes little time.

IMG_9019.JPG

Offcuts of willow from basketry making, one long rod.

IMG_9020.JPG

The rod made into a hoop.

IMG_9021.JPG

The cross piece in place.

IMG_9023.JPG

Next two weavers are threaded through. Notice they're threaded over, the cross is under.

IMG_9025.JPG

More weavers threaded into place. They could be cut to length when they're threaded.

IMG_9026.JPG

Finished threading weavers in until the gaps are filled.

IMG_9028.JPG

Tided off the ends of the weavers, leaving the original cross rod until last.

IMG_9029.JPG

Trimmed the cross rod to 7 or 8 cms.

IMG_9031.JPG

Cross rod thinned down and threaded back on itself. Not necessary but it stabilises things.

IMG_9032.JPG

Pared ends pushed parallel with the rod, nice and tidy and secure. Finished tray :D

The biggest one I've made was about 70cms and it lasted for about three years :cool:

I generally use willow, it's food safe, but I have used dockens in season, privet and split hazel (very firm ), marram grass and cat tail rushes for the weavers. It's one of those useful what do you have sort of makes.

The knife is a Bruseletto Troll and is another firm favourite :D :D

cheers,
Toddy

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Wow great
I was expecting to see circular weaving after I saw the central cross but this is easier and quicker. I guess the trade off is it's not quite as strong but then if it only takes 10 mins to make...

Great stuff

Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks folks :D

Sometimes the simplest things are awfully useful :approve:
Stuart f's photo shows a larger one of them in use

salmon1640x480.jpg

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In the back garden it's usually my bare feet :eek: but it was cold today and I was standing around making the tray and trying to photo things as I went along. Those were just the pair that were at the back door. I couldn't seem to get a clear shot without my feet in it :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i've just made a couple with the volunteers, i guess there will be tension tray 'flower pot holders' at a farmers market near you soon. :approve: :rolleyes: :thanks:

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I find them quite good for stacking apples and pears on too, the slight curve stops them rolling off, and I have a friend who swears that they're the bees knees for persuading ducks not to nest in the mud :dunno:
Handy as a cooling rack for breads and bannocks when out as well.

Glad they seem to have potential to other folks too :D

cheers,
Toddy

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
This is a grate idea :You_Rock_

Fantastic tutorial Toddy, so inspiring when I looked at a pile of dogwood I cleared yesterday this is all I could think of.

So here's the result.

It took about twenty minutes to make, which I didn't think was too bad for a total novice. Its not too pretty but works and it feels pretty bomb proof.

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
I made one, its not perfect but i do like it. Thanks for the thread Toddy, your a star.

Sorry about the spoons but i only took one photo.

May094029-1.jpg

regards,
Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE