Tengu, Bilmo, inspired blanket coat

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, I've started my dyeing attempt - not too hopeful as the coffee grounds I used weren't new so the mixture isn't that dark. Pictures to follow...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Even if all it does is tannin the wool, that acts as a kind of mordant and will make any other natural dye more likely to fix.
It's not often used as that because it can darken a colour, but in this instance, that's not an undesirable result.

cheers,
M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Funnily enough, the Wikipedia entry for tannin says there isn't any in coffee...

The grounds I've tried had already been used & reluctant to buy a load more fresh. Might invest in some budget teabags but thinking oak bark could be better (but getting it fresh is problematic)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought you were using the coffee grounds 'and' oak bark ?

Oh well, coffee doesn't need a mordant, or tannin, but either or both help.
It's a pity that it's kind of too late for the last of the nettles or leaf fall, and too early for new strong growth, because with coffee that can give a muddy colour.
I think I'd buy a big pack of strong tea bags from the poundstore and brew that up as long as I could and use that in the dye liquor.
I know it's not free, but it's not break the bank expensive either.

That said, people are often surprised at just how much material is needed to give a good colour from some natural dyes. Kind of why the three classics, madder, woad and weld, were so highly regarded.

atb,
M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I was going to but thought I'd need fresh oak bark as old stuff will have had the tannin leached out in the rain. I'll buy some cheap teabags. Might try bunging in the old sloes left over from sloe gin making - can't hurt, surely?

Think volume might be a problem as it is a big blanket (Witney blanket, as it turns out)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The volume is the devil in the detail, it's why I use big black bins to dye wholecloth, because at least that way I can move it around and not get a terribly mottled dyejob.

What you could do is to cut the jacket pieces out and dye them. At least that way you're not having to wrangle with an entire unwieldy blanket.
The pieces shouldn't fray very much, if any. The blanket will have partially felted enough not to unravell greatly.

cheers,
M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My dyeing vessel is big enough - 10 gallons - and heating it is no issue as I've just lit a fire underneath. Will give sloes a go!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE