Tengu, Bilmo, inspired blanket coat

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
As you are all aware I am a massive fan of Bilmo-P5's hand made kit.

So after acquiring some cream wool blankets from Tengu, and being totally inspired by Bilmos bush shirt I had made, I thought I would have a go myself..

After several days of hand sewing (it is all hand sewn I came up with this

P1010255.jpg

The canvas is an old poncho..

I thought the cream was a little bright for bush rafting so I had a go at dying it.

In the dye (olive green Dylon)

P1010257.jpg

After an hr in the dye I got this

P1010264.jpg

And detail of the original label I left on

P1010267.jpg

Let me know what you think

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Very nice.
Once you get into the swing of hand sewing you can progress quite quickly, however, a hand-o-matic or modest electric machine would make these things much easier.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh well done :D

That looks the business :cool:

Nice touch with the label too :)

Ian's right about the machine, it's quicker and very neat, strong too, and a zig zag stitch saves a lot of bother; but I still hand sew most things; I can do that anywhere, pick it up and put it down as time allows, and I find I can make finer joins and flatter seams that way too.....thing is though, I've been sewing since I was three so I find it easy. That you did the whole thing by hand is a credit to you :)

There is one other point to hand sewing; if you have the fabric, you have the matching thread. You might need to re-spin it, or ply it up to use, maybe need to wax it, but it's the same stuff as the material you're sewing.

On t'other hand, I hate sewing long straight seams for things like tents, curtains, bedding, etc., so the machine is a godsend :D

cheers,
Toddy

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Oh well done :D

That looks the business :cool:

Nice touch with the label too :)

Ian's right about the machine, it's quicker and very neat, strong too, and a zig zag stitch saves a lot of bother; but I still hand sew most things; I can do that anywhere, pick it up and put it down as time allows, and I find I can make finer joins and flatter seams that way too.....thing is though, I've been sewing since I was three so I find it easy. That you did the whole thing by hand is a credit to you :)

There is one other point to hand sewing; if you have the fabric, you have the matching thread. You might need to re-spin it, or ply it up to use, maybe need to wax it, but it's the same stuff as the material you're sewing.

On t'other hand, I hate sewing long straight seams for things like tents, curtains, bedding, etc., so the machine is a godsend :D

cheers,
Toddy

Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Did you use a pattern or just make it plenty big enough? Hoping my blankets will provide me with something similar (also hoping the pink one will dye OK)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Your on a roll :thumbup: I've had some blankets layin in wait for a while. Been waitin on swmbo , but thas inspired me to do it misen. Good elth shag :cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pink and green are inclined to give mud colours, if you use blue you'll get maroon-brown. Doesn't sound much different, but it really is in reality. One's a stained sort of look but the other's a colour, iimmc. If you really want green you'd be best to do a good colour remover on it first, and even then it might be a muted muddy shade.

Might be wrong though, but dyes, unless you use a lot, and you have prepped the fabric really well, often don't overdye each other very successfully.

Sorry Pignut, gone a bit OT there :eek:

cheers,
M

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Toddy said:
Pink and green are inclined to give mud colours, if you use blue you'll get maroon-brown. Doesn't sound much different, but it really is in reality. One's a stained sort of look but the other's a colour, iimmc. If you really want green you'd be best to do a good colour remover on it first, and even then it might be a muted muddy shade.

Might be wrong though, but dyes, unless you use a lot, and you have prepped the fabric really well, often don't overdye each other very successfully.

Sorry Pignut, gone a bit OT there

Go OT as often as you like. Your divergences yield some useful snippets.

Just an aside; Have you used these, and if so, are they any good?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Go OT as often as you like. Your divergences yield some useful snippets.

Just an aside; Have you used these, and if so, are they any good?

Oh nice find :approve:
No, I haven't but if their dyes are straightforward direct or reactive dyes then they should work very well. They don't give measurements for quantities, but their prices look good :D
Somewhere I have a whole box load of reactive dyes.......I was going to make a wool quilt with dyed celtic knotwork fading into landscape kind of thing, then I discovered needlefelting :eek:

cheers,
M

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
that was gonna be my question...

not that i need another project, but then you can never have too many ideas on the back-burner ;)

looks great btw Pignut

I drew round a hoodie for the pattern.

It is a XL in size

There are a few other design features I added....

I think a hoodie is an under rated bit of kit from a bushcraft perspective, hence using one as a template, on this one I left the pouch pocket deliberately baggy for ease of access and so it does not pull the bottom of the hoodie up when my hands are in it.

There is a leather toggle loop on the back to hang it from tree branches etc so the wool in the hood does not get pulled.

The hood does not meet in the middle at the front to accommodate a Buff and so as not to chafe under the chin.....

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Might be a bit 'spensive for a full blanket - might look into natural dyes as muddy colour is fine (anything better than pink!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE