temperate forest bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
Hey, i live in the eastern united states in a temperate forest environment, does anyone have any reccomendations for a bushcraft knife suited to this area? Thanks!

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Hello Mattw4466, it really depends on what exactly chores you want to accomplish in your area of the world. Skinning/field dressing game, carving a spoon, batoning/choping wood, removing a splinter etc... Blade size and shape will accomodate a lot chores many more efficiently than others.
Saygo, OzaawaaMigiziNini, long time no see ;) glad to see you here

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would say a frost clipper, i have the stainless one and i cant fault it
and they only cost £10
leon

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
As other people have already said, a cheap mora is a lot of kinfe for your money. Get the carbon steel version, or the laminated one.

If you intend to spend more money, I can't recommend a leuku enough, seldom bother taking an axe or saw with me anymore, the leuku can basically do what they can, or whatever you might need. Make sure to get a 9" blade though. (Strømeng is a reputable brand, link here). Maybe a big bowie can do same work, but I don't like how they perform in carving.

As a general advice I would say that carbon steel is prefered. Keeps an sharper edge than stainless.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Carcajou Garou said:
Hello Mattw4466, it really depends on what exactly chores you want to accomplish in your area of the world. Skinning/field dressing game, carving a spoon, batoning/choping wood, removing a splinter etc... Blade size and shape will accomodate a lot chores many more efficiently than others.
Saygo, OzaawaaMigiziNini, long time no see ;) glad to see you here

Aanii! I thought that was you my old WildWood friend.. How've you been? :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE