tell me what you think of these boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What sort of use do you intend for them, lightweight bimbles round the wood, some serious hill trekking or something between?

If it's just bimbles round your wood I've got a pair similar to the first (slightly older model I think) and they do me fine for that purpose but I wouldn't rate them for any serious long distance walking.

kieran w

Nov 16, 2013
suffolk
What sort of use do you intend for them, lightweight bimbles round the wood, some serious hill trekking or something between?

If it's just bimbles round your wood I've got a pair similar to the first (slightly older model I think) and they do me fine for that purpose but I wouldn't rate them for any serious long distance walking.

I bit of both really as a scout I will be using them for a lot of different activities

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Karrimor do not have a great rep these days... but I have not tried Karrimor boots since the original KSBs came out ... 30 odd years ago!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd go for the first pair if I wanted those Karrimors. They look the pick of the range. There is less to leak and break on a 1 part leather upper and with regular care and treatment, should stay effectively waterproof for most conditions as long as the sole and bits stays stuck to the upper. Event and Goretex liners do work but in my experience quickly fail, leaving you with a pair of boots that aren't waterproof but take much longer to dry.

I've not had much joy with modern karrimor footwear. Both pairs of event lined I've had have failed quite quickly and every other pair I've owned have failed. In fact, every waterproof lined footwear I've ever used has failed now I think of it

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd go for the first pair if I wanted those Karrimors. They look the pick of the range. There is less to leak and break on a 1 part leather upper and with regular care and treatment, should stay effectively waterproof for most conditions as long as the sole and bits stays stuck to the upper. Event and Goretex liners do work but in my experience quickly fail, leaving you with a pair of boots that aren't waterproof but take much longer to dry.

I've not had much joy with modern karrimor footwear. Both pairs of event lined I've had have failed quite quickly and every other pair I've owned have failed. In fact, every waterproof lined footwear I've ever used has failed now I think of it

Exactly this! Put a few bob more to it and get some altbergs, says I :)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I have a preference for light, flexible boots, but the most important thing is that they fit well and are comfortable to wear. I reckon everything else comes second to that. What they said about waterproof membranes, boots are flexed repatedly and membranes tend to break down fairly quickly. Good leather treated properly remains pretty water resistant.

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
For that money you can have a pair of Brasher Hilwalker2s using price match and 10% off at a well known Outdoors Chain, you dont even have to GO they will post

Always get good reviews and come up on size of your usual boots

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Karrimor boots are pants nowadays irrespective of cost. For all round stuff I'd go for Berghaus explorers check around the web for best price.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Ive been fancying a pair of the d30's for a while-tried them on instore and they seemed amazingly comfortable! Not sure if the gel sole is a gimmic but it certainly seemed to work! BUT ive never seen a proper review of them!

Andy

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've a few bits of Karrimor gear and its ok but don't buy the boots! I had 3 pairs of them all fell apart within 6 months (you'd think I'd learn after the second pair). I bought a set of Brasher Supalite 2's in the end already put more miles through them than those 3 pairs of Karrimors combined and not a single issues so far. Took some breaking in though!

£115 on Ebay

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
All karrimor boots and shoes I've had haven't lasted me long.

Lately Ive been using the goretex issued boots - got them from ebay for a fraction of the price of those karrimors. So far they've outlasted 2 other pairs of boots and are still going strong.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
another thumbs up for the Brashers. i used to have a psi of the old ksb3s' , back when Karimoor were a respected company, they were wonderful boots but, when i came to replace them, karimoor (at least the boot part) had been bought out by sports direct and the quality was dire. get a good pair of boots and you won't regret it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE