New to this: boot help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Well they are Karrimor which is now owned by Sports Direct The quality is variable
Are they comfortable ? That heel looks like a bit of a gimmick
My experience with Karrimor from sports direct is that they will not withstand hard wear/use and they will start to fall apart quite quickly
For not much more money you could pick up something better at Go outdoors i reckon

eg http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-expeditor-aq-leather-walking-boots-p269656

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Most important thing about footwear is fit, wear them 'round the house at night (don't wear them outside). Your feet swell a bit at night and it's a good way to see how they'd feel when out all day. The quality of Karrimor does vary these days but as long as they fit they should be a good boot to start you off.

If you've any niggles about cramped toes, slipping heals or the likes go into the shop for a fitting - ask for a trained boot fitter, footwear is very important.

adamzam15

Nov 13, 2013
NW London
Thanks guys.

I'm a little lost about buying boots or if I should keep these now. I was unsure about the material too.
I'm not sure about berghaus. I've heard mixed reviews.

Do I keep these or exchange them for credit toward other things and buy other boots? Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamzam15

Nov 13, 2013
NW London
Thanks guys

I am really unsure. I don't mind exchanging them for credit toward other things, but want to get the boots right. Should I keep them or buy something else?
What about the material?

I've hear really mixed things about berghaus

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Karrimor have gone down hill in recent years but having said that I have a pair of leather walking boots of there's and really can't fault them, I got them 4 years ago.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
It entirely depends on a combination ofwhat you are going to use the boots for, and whether or not they fit correctly, as to whether they are suitable or not, I'm afraid.

adamzam15

Nov 13, 2013
NW London
It entirely depends on a combination ofwhat you are going to use the boots for, and whether or not they fit correctly, as to whether they are suitable or not, I'm afraid.

I'm looking to use the boots to get out in the wild come rain or shine. I want to be able to move around without worrying too much about my boots.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I think you have to judge whether they are comfortable first off. If they are then the choice is keep them knowing that a boot in this price/quality category will last 2 to 3 years before leaking or starting to show signs of falling apart or try for money back.

I've had three pairs of boots in this price class by three different manufacturers... Le Chameau, Technica & Magnum all made in China. The Le Chameau were the worst only lasting 6 months... the Technica lasted better and served for 2 seasons of Alpine hikes.. The Magnum's are best so far due to a Vibram sole and have been the most comfortable and so far pretty hard wearing. After 2 years of less intensive use than the Technica's they are still going strong.

The next choice is for a better quality boot.. BUT it will cost you twice your Karrimor's price. Brands to look at Lowa, Meindl, Altberg..etc I think from now on I will always opt for leather for a serious boot.
After my above experiences I've since bought some Lowa Combat boots. They are brilliant, comfy and hard wearing, they are just a quality item. I picked them up for 130 quid from www.polmil.co.uk but they generally go for around £170, which when you compare the difference in price with say the Karrimor's.. you get way more for your money.
I spent probably around 300 Euros on my previous pairs of boots, but I'm sure the Lowa's will outlast them... so price is only relative.

cheers
Gareth

adamzam15

Nov 13, 2013
NW London
Thank you Gareth really useful. You have made me more confident. I'm still a little concerned that these aren't leather. Do you think the material will be a large drawback?

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
ive always gone for genuine british army boots and never gone wrong, i tend to buy the a1 condition used ones and they are ace. had a few pairs of karrimor walking shoes in the last year, after 6 months they are shot. if you dont want full on boots boots then try the berghaus ones, ive a pair of their shoes and they are excellent

garethw

Settler
Thank you Gareth really useful. You have made me more confident. I'm still a little concerned that these aren't leather. Do you think the material will be a large drawback?

No, my Lowa's are the first leather boots of this type I've had.. the others were all man made materials.. Man made fibres have the advantage of needing less care than leather, which even if Gortex lined needs looking after.
The cordura and suede construction of most of these boots is just fine for most uses... but as I and others have said it'll not last as long as leather.

By the way on a more general note as you are new to the site... it is a goldmine of info for all sorts of clothing, footwear, camp & carry and any amount of outdoor and bushcraft equipment... use the search ans take time to read people's reviews..that's what I did.

I took time to study info from other posters when I required new gear and chose what I wanted within my budget.. Some budget gear is brilliant..ie: Mora knives or DD hammocks.. but some stuff you just have to bite the bullet and get quality gear if you want it to last.

cheers
Gareth

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Apart from the terrible sole and the fact that they take about 6 months to break in ... by which time the sole is worn out and they're ready for the bin.

Rubbish!! Theres nothing wrong with the soles. Yes they need some breaking in time but so do all boots dont they?!? Once there broken in they are soooo comfy

garethw

Settler
Cant go wrong with a pair of dm's imo

Sorry to disagree, but I wore DMs since I was 12.. got my first pair in 1975 when they were still made in the UK. I've probably had over a dozen pairs over the years. They are a tough enough boot, better in the old days, but always suffer the same fate. The inner sole falls to bits and you are walking on the patterned honeycomb.. rubs feet in places. The flexing of the thin leather against the edge of the sole above the stitching causes it to split along that edge. A 1970's design that's not moved on.

They are still ok as a city boot, fine for riding a scooter back in the day... but for any serious outdoor work, hiking, backpacking, fishing or hunting etc forget it. I've still got a couple of pairs stuck away in a cupboard.

Also they have no insulation as there is no lining.. I remember winter fishing as a kid with my ten holes and had blocks of ice up to my calf..

I'd not swap my Lowa's for them that's for sure.. even the Magnums are way better these days. (Neither of which needed breaking in.)

cheers
Gareth

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Sorry to disagree, but I wore DMs since I was 12.. got my first pair in 1975 when they were still made in the UK. I've probably had over a dozen pairs over the years. They are a tough enough boot, better in the old days, but always suffer the same fate. The inner sole falls to bits and you are walking on the patterned honeycomb.. rubs feet in places. The flexing of the thin leather against the edge of the sole above the stitching causes it to split along that edge. A 1970's design that's not moved on.

They are still ok as a city boot, fine for riding a scooter back in the day... but for any serious outdoor work, hiking, backpacking, fishing or hunting etc forget it. I've still got a couple of pairs stuck away in a cupboard.ì

Also they have no insulation as there is no lining.. I remember winter fishing as a kid with my ten holes and had blocks of ice up to my calf..

I'd not swap my Lowa's for them that's for sure.. even the Magnums are way better these days. (Neither of which needed breaking in.)

cheers
Gareth

thats fair enough. Each to there own. Love my docs tho.

cheers kris

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Rubbish!! Theres nothing wrong with the soles. Yes they need some breaking in time but so do all boots dont they?!? Once there broken in they are soooo comfy

I have had countless pairs of DM's , used to wear them all the time working as a doorman many moons ago and for years bought DM shoes to wear with suits at work, in both the traditional DM sole and the thicker one that copied the Vibram pattern. In a size 11 or 12 , these soles literally lasted a maximum of 6 months, wearing straight through and splitting across the width of the shoe. Any useable tread on the sole had worn away ages before that, and that's just street use, I hate to think how short their life would have been if I'd ever used them "off road" but since I'm not suicidal I never did anything that stupid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE