Telephoto Zoom lens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Hi

I've recently just rediscover my wonderful canon 40d and had great fun trying to get some shots of a kingfisher.

However a combination of me being rusty and picking the wrong iso for the light and speed of the little blighter I diddn't get the shots I was after so i thought about a change in lens. . .

I have used Sigma lens and still have some, unfortunately I sold some and I am now regretting it, espeacially my 150mm macro, that was gooood!

But I do have a 10-20mm sigma lens that I could move on and maybe replace it with something bigger. . . .

I do have a 70-200 lens so heres the question,

Do I go for a 1.4x teleconvertor for the above or look for a second hand zoom with a bigger reach?

What do folk think?

Thanks

Drew

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
I'm in the same boat and going for a new 70-300mm lens when I can afford it, I'm going for a Nikon, typically the priciest!
However check out the 70-300 offerings from Sigma and Tamron for a slightly cheaper deal, the Sigma is the cheapest and good value but apparently the Tamron, which is a little bit more expensive gets better results, particularly at the long end.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ive got the 70 300mm canon is lens and often wonder about a tele conveter but you lose a stop or two which rules out alot of the shots I want to take!!
Would love to get a nice kingfisher shot too!
D

Stuart Danger

Aug 26, 2011
Chichester
I have a 70-300mm Nikon that I got off ebay, for about £80. Very good lense but after snapping a few and uploading them I found that focusing to be off, which is something not apparent when looking at a tiny 2" screen. So now when I take pics I auto focus, snap, auto focus, snap, auto focus, snap, repeat! It means I take a lot of photos but I still get some decent ones. ]I'm using a d70

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Madame Manacles is wildlife photographer and uses Sigma lenses and (surprisingly) Nikon D60 bodies, along with a Sigma 1.4 APO teleconverter. Works best she tells me with the auto stabiliser off :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE