Teddys' Avons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
As I learn to use the new Whipping tool, it turns into a lathe
01_zps16c1dvrn.jpg~original

With some 1/2" Balsa dowel drilled from either end
01a_zpswtr1zcml.jpg~original

then a BBQ squewer pushed through and super glued
02_zpsb2gixl6f.jpg~original

shaped/sanded with a nail file sandpaper board
03_zpsq4kq70wx.jpg~original

04_zpsyateakf5.jpg~original

05_zps1t1szmz2.jpg~original

05_zpsdk69qbg3.jpg~original

06_zps08flb9fn.jpg~original

it's work in progress

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Really nice - and a reminder I need to make some. I make quite small ones, about 4 inches tall, carrying from 1-3BB depending on body size specifically for a small river I fish for Grayling.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Really nice - and a reminder I need to make some. I make quite small ones, about 4 inches tall, carrying from 1-3BB depending on body size specifically for a small river I fish for Grayling.

is that 4" overall ? I've never made floats before but thought Avons had a long stem, to act as a keel, then a shorter tip above the body for visability as you 'trot' down a river ?
my longest rod at the moment is only 8' but am looking to get a 12' then the line goes to the float and not into the water to be swept in a loop in front of the float, by the top water flow ?

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Yes, 4 inch overall. It's not very deep water - plus the smaller the float the less weight to cock it and hence the smaller the plop when it lands in the water.

The river I fish is very quick and so the line doesn't bow and need "mending".

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
The ''avon'' is an old classic float, nice to see some on the forum QDanT. They were designed specifically to fish by trotting down and some would carry a fair bit of shot and you could trot down a long way with them. There are a few different varieties of the avon float apart from the typical oval shaped ones, there's small and large bodies and those with a wider shoulder at the top like your's, there is also a type of avon float called the ''fluted'' avon float which was designed in the early 1960s by Albert Smalley who was considered the worlds greatest float maker by the legendary Dick Walker. The fluted avon float was specifically designed for fishing in windy conditions.

By the way for float fishing a rod longer than 8' will give you more control in both fishing the float and playing any fish caught, depending on size of river 10'-12' will be much better. Thanks for a great post, have fun :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE