Techy people wanted iphone

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
My iphone battery has died and will need replacing, I'm just wondering, is it hard to change it myself? also where do I get a new battery from? Or finally would you be able to point me somwhere that will do it cheaper than the bloody apple store!

it's an iphone 3gs btw, dont like the 4 thats why I dont want to upgrade

Cheers

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I dropped my 3GS in the bath, so I took it apart to dry it out.

I used this method to get it apart, but where they use a tool to get the screen out, I used a sucker from a valve grinding stick.

be careful with the cable connections both taking out and putting back in. take pictures of the phone parts positions as you take apart, they vary internally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enGec18zF1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIEdIxRpU3g

as for buying a new battery, I don't know where you would get a good genuine Apple one.

Last edited:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
EBay for battery and tools. Be very careful otherwise it won't fit back together properly afterwards.
Otherwise if you buy a battery yourself and get a phone repair store to replace it. I think you can get higher rated batteries too.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I have fixed hundreds of iPhones it's my second hobby, fixing anything electrical and gadgety. I will replace the battery for you if you like as long as you cover the postage costs each way. I won't charge you for the battery as I've got a few new ones in my box of bits.

I am currently in the process of setting up my own little website offering this and other services. (www.mendit4u.com) I'm not advertising as the site hasn't gone live yet.

Dave

Last edited:

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
and that is why I will never buy an iPhone. A phone that is so poorly designed as to make it as difficult as possible to change the battery is ridiculous. Good luck...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE