Teaching the wee man some fire skills up the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Took little Ross up to the woods today for the day to teach him a little about trees and to show him some fire skills and bushcraft. We got soaking wet and cold, but both of us had a huge smile on our face once we left the woods and headed for home, there can't be much in this world more satisfying that passing on skills to your young son and seeing them enjoy the lessons.

Made a wee video of the day, hope you enjoy watching it

http://youtu.be/Y0ZWTMisoPw

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
Mate cracking wee video I watched your canoe self rescue great mate couple wee things though have you tried rentry via front or back much more stable and from experience as a canoe kayak instructor less time in water also when breaking the capsized boats seal go undr the boat ie in the air pocket reason if it's windy raining or choppy protects you also better and quicker at breaking the seal all in all though I am massively impressed you working and practicing your skills in the boat in all weathers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D :D Brilliant :D

Many years ago I took my Jamie to Milarrochy bay in a very similar wee red suit. He toddled out to the water's edge with a look of utter delight on his face as he saw the loch, put his arms out as wide as he could stretch, and said, "Mine!" :D

I thought it maybe a wee touch ambitious, but y'never know :D at least he'd share :D

Thank you for sharing Ross's day out too :D Brilliant to see him out and about, and it's all good memories, it really is :D

atb,
Mary

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
that is most excellent, teaching him skills like this is what its all about.
How old is your son? mine is 3 and a bit, still a little young I feel though.

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
I love your buck saw mate whear did you get it I took my daughter fishing and bushcrafting she is 4 she loved it she said I was a wizard cause I made fire with Flint and steel and told her nursery teachers I made fire with a stone I am a god lol

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Mate cracking wee video I watched your canoe self rescue great mate couple wee things though have you tried rentry via front or back much more stable and from experience as a canoe kayak instructor less time in water also when breaking the capsized boats seal go undr the boat ie in the air pocket reason if it's windy raining or choppy protects you also better and quicker at breaking the seal all in all though I am massively impressed you working and practicing your skills in the boat in all weathers

Many thanks for the kind comments mate. Ref the canoe skills training, thanks for taking the time to watch my wee video, i have tried the suggestions you've made as well as a dozen others as well, if i come up with a new idea or if i hear someone elses, i will go out in the water and give it a go and see how it goes, this was just the way i was doing it on that given day

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
:D :D Brilliant :D

Many years ago I took my Jamie to Milarrochy bay in a very similar wee red suit. He toddled out to the water's edge with a look of utter delight on his face as he saw the loch, put his arms out as wide as he could stretch, and said, "Mine!" :D

I thought it maybe a wee touch ambitious, but y'never know :D at least he'd share :D

Thank you for sharing Ross's day out too :D Brilliant to see him out and about, and it's all good memories, it really is :D

atb,
Mary

Ha great wee story about Jamie lol, Glad you enjoyed the wee film Mary.

P.S The storybook you made Ross still has its place of honour, he made me put it up on his wall just beside his bed as he absolutely loved it, his Auntie Arlene would make up stories every night in the hospital till she was dead on her feet and then he'd make her do another story before she left lol

Just wanted you to know how much i appreciated you doing that for my wee boy Mary, i will never forget that you did that and took all that time and effort just to make him smile.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
that is most excellent, teaching him skills like this is what its all about.
How old is your son? mine is 3 and a bit, still a little young I feel though.

The kids will adapt to whatever situation you put them in Ozzy, it's more a question of how much knowledge and confidence the parent has, wee Ross has been out camping and canoeing with me since he was 2 years old (hes 4 now) and just takes it in his stride, he isnt afraid of the dark and loves sleeping in a tent and paddling the canoe.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I love your buck saw mate whear did you get it I took my daughter fishing and bushcrafting she is 4 she loved it she said I was a wizard cause I made fire with Flint and steel and told her nursery teachers I made fire with a stone I am a god lol

The saw is the Duluth (Bob Destrude) bucksaw, i believe Tamarack sell it for about £40, great saw folds up in about 10 seconds and easy to pack away

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
Sweet mate cheers I think it's great trying new skills and stuff more people should do it . Also if it works for you do it pal didn't mean to sound like a Boffin

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Sweet mate cheers I think it's great trying new skills and stuff more people should do it . Also if it works for you do it pal didn't mean to sound like a Boffin

Ah, no problem mate, i don't think that way, i come from the angle that no one is born with any knowledge and very few of us have the gift of being genius and coming up with fresh ideas ourselves, so i'm always more than happy to learn from people that come at problems from a new angle, it's the best way to learn, so thanks for the advice, it's always appreciated mate

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had fun making the book :) I'm glad Ross had fun playing with it :D especially then :)
It's a delight to see him out and about on your film :D

atb,
M

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Another great video, Col. I love the 'universal' approval and pride gestures of the high five and tender kiss, they truly are the rewards of our efforts!

p.s.- Nice job with the selection of music for the soundtrack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE