Teaching kids to "play with fire"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
For those who don't know I'm a park warden/ranger working for a local authority and we are in the early stages of introducing "fireplay" in the parks. I was approached by Play England who are a national play council to do a workshop at their play ranger seminar a few weeks back. I'm happy to report that there was HUGE interest in fireplay for inner city kids and I have given the play rangers the tools to carry forward the initiative and try to get fireplay introduced in parks on a national scale.
It seems the biggest stumbling block is the risk assesment and safety issues, but when explained properly more people seem to grasp the idea that being ignorant of fire is far more dangerous that a working knowledge of it's benefits and dangers.

So when you see groups of kids and play rangers having an open campfire and toasting marshmallows in the park..Remember It started here folks !!:D

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thats excellent Dave, I have just had a weekend teaching scouts pretty much the same thing. The idea been to get across a heatlhy respect and a responsible approach to fire.
We did the same with Knives and axes and saws. It will be good to hear how things go.

We've been doing it for years up here in Scotland (I was doing it in 1999 as a ranger) and it's now integral to some forest schools programs where the site is suitable. I've been showing our local ranger how to make tinder tubes,make charrcloth, use flint and steel, firesteels, birch bark, cramp balls and the whole fire thing. It's great huh? I love it!

WS

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Maddave

I think its great that there has been a positive response, but like Woodsmoke says, its been done for decades by Rangers, either with Forest Schools, Bushcraft or other outdoor provision.
I'm sure it has, but I doubt it's been done in inner city parkland...At least this is what I was told.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I even did it in the Raploch in Stirling..........but you're right too Dave, responsible use is crucial and if no one teaches them how then we get fields and woodlands set ablaze, trees vandalised and then more and more panicy restrictions placed on everyone else.

Good on anyone who works positively with children teaching awareness and skills like this.

cheers,
Toddy

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thats excellent Dave, I have just had a weekend teaching scouts pretty much the same thing. The idea been to get across a heatlhy respect and a responsible approach to fire.
We did the same with Knives and axes and saws. It will be good to hear how things go.

Yeah and they are terrified of matches whn they start nowadays as they are wrapped in cotton wool and told matches are dangerous:rolleyes:

The same sort of thing with knives though.

Yeah and they are terrified of matches whn they start nowadays as they are wrapped in cotton wool and told matches are dangerous:rolleyes:

The same sort of thing with knives though.

Our youngest Beaver Scouts (aged 6) have been learning to light fires with firesteels and cotton wool. The looks on their faces are priceless when they get it!!

Similarly we have been using potato peelers (Forest School trick) to teach cubs (aged 8) safe whittling of wood to melt their marshmallows on.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Been doing fire making classes for years with my kids at the cadets Dave. They are all inner city kids as well and I love to see the buzz they get out of it. If you are at the moot I would love to have a chat with you about what you are doing. Obviously in the naughty corner over a beer or two.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Well here's a big up to all of you. It is so great that all you folks go out of your way to do this stuff with kids. I am sure those few moments will live with them for many years to come.

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
Thats really good; it will teach them to respect fire and the woods more!

My 2yo daughter "helps" me start bow drill fires (she blows on the tinder bundle) and sharpens her plastic knife on a strop just like dad (only she uses a wooden paint stir stick) She'll be the worlds greatest Girl Scout!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice one folks.
I did a day at a woodland festival demonstrating fire by friction, flint & steel, fireflash ect to all ages, and enjoyed it as much as they. Been asked to do many more local authority events as a result. Quite nerve racking when all my collegues and bosses showed up.

Teaching kids is great, but also seeing the look of acheivement on a previously fustrated dad when he gets an ember then fire on the bow drill, and can then teach his children himself, was my favorite part last time.

I cant wait to do the next one.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Been doing fire making classes for years with my kids at the cadets Dave. They are all inner city kids as well and I love to see the buzz they get out of it. If you are at the moot I would love to have a chat with you about what you are doing. Obviously in the naughty corner over a beer or two.

Can I invite myself along too George?
I've done afew sessions with Cadets up this way too - always open to new ideas and outlooks.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Joezilla

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 26, 2008
North Carolina, USA
I just did a summercamp here with ages 5-12, and we did a spark based fire making session. The five year old was the best on the ferro rod. Who would have thought!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE