Simplified Swedish Fire Torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I tried this back when George was posting different styles of Swedish torch. It just seemed logical to try. We didn’t bother shaving the centre down - circles don’t tessalate to left a gap and we just didn’t push them tight up at one joint either.

I need to have another watch but I think that chap needs a more toothy saw! That looked like hard work….

Reactions: MrEd and scruff

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Is the Swedish fire torch a traditional technique from Sweden or just named such to give it some Scandi charm?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Believe it originates from Finland.
But think the Swedish military used it, so got associated with them.

Reactions: Kadushu

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good vid Steve, thanks for posting, I've put them together like that before but not really created the space in the middle, it worked fine but I think that's better, that nice snugness is good.
Thanks Dude goodjob

Reactions: MrEd

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Believe it originates from Finland.
But think the Swedish military used it, so got associated with them.
The Finnish version is called "loggers candle", I have no idea who came up with it first. One of the reasons it is made like that is that your pot can be right on top of the logs not hanging from anything, the tripod is really unnecessary. How many of you are carrying chains while walking just to hang something from a tripod ... ;)

Reactions: Kadushu

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Is the idea of said candle to be able to use damp wood. i.e. something "found" in a wood where the outside is damp but the inner core would be dry. Hence the inner will burn quite nicely. If the whole log is dry....why not just chop it up and ... I don't know... maybe make a fire.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
No way would I dispute any of the above. However something designed for function A, can happily be used for function B,C and D. This solution does not address the Function A however.
Same as the Horse shoe thing with spikes in, that can be hammered into 3 logs to hold them together and provide a place for your pot. If you are going to carry one into the field, why not just take a fire pot?

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Is the idea of said candle to be able to use damp wood. i.e. something "found" in a wood where the outside is damp but the inner core would be dry.
I think that is part of it as here it is mostly done by splitting the log into four (or lately by using a chainsaw to make a cross on top of a log). As the heart is often also more pitchy it lights up easier.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
You get more of a draw because it acts as a chimney or rocket stove. I agred some of the iterations take so much fannying about that it doesn't seem worth it. If you're a forester with a chainsaw then it makes great sense.

Reactions: Toddy

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
The Finnish version is called "loggers candle", I have no idea who came up with it first. One of the reasons it is made like that is that your pot can be right on top of the logs not hanging from anything, the tripod is really unnecessary. How many of you are carrying chains while walking just to hang something from a tripod ... ;)
We (at least northern norwegians) call it "Finnprimus".

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I like the concept of the single log but with a cross. It saves so much wood, it’sa great friendship fire and a great hob.
I don’t like the small branch versions held together with cordage. Too unpredictable.
But
I thought it was general knowledge to hold your scraper where you want the fire and PULL the ferrocerium. That way your scraper doesn’t bash out your fire (twice - see above video)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE