Teaching 'em while they're young.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My mate Paul of Ridgeway Woodcraft makes some really nice stuff, however now there's a contender to the title of master woodworker - His son Oliver

Here's some examples of Paul's work

[video=youtube_share;egfq573VGDI]http://youtu.be/egfq573VGDI[/video]

And here's young Oli' following in his father's footsteps working for the first time on a lathe making the legs for a milking stool.

The Japanese Dozuki saw hardly breaking into a sweat cutting the softwood. These are sweeeet saws to use folks.

Wedges to hold the legs in position, 90 degrees to the grain direction to avoid splitting the Piranha pine seat part.

That glue's Aliphatic resin. Think PVA glue on steroids.

Putting the final top part under a bit of pressure.

"I need a little help here Dad."

Now the boring part - sanding. Dirty job but needs doing... only Oliver opted for a more rustic finish i.e. he got bored and didn't sand it as well as it could have been. :lmao: Can't says I blame him actually. Note the dust speckles.

Toshing on the varnish. "Yeah, loadsa varnish mate!"

And hey presto one milking stool. "Dad, all we need now is a cow and we're sorted. Can we have a cow please? Can we? Please? I'll feed it and muck out its stable and walk it and I shall call it George, and love it and pet it."

Thanks for reading Folks. Oli's well pleased with his creation. I seriously doubt this will be his last.

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That's pretty impressive, looks like it built well enough to last quite a while.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
that's incredible for a first go on a lathe!! amazing. far surpasses anything I can turn! :p
out of curiosity what age is this young wood worker?

Biker

that's incredible for a first go on a lathe!! amazing. far surpasses anything I can turn! :p
out of curiosity what age is this young wood worker?

He's 10, he'll be 11 in Feb next year. I haven't told him yet in case it puts him off doing more of this, but I have a real fear of lathes, don't know why really, mostly a couple of near misses in secondary school and lack of confidence since. Anyway seeing he'd produced this at such a young age impresses me even more.

Thanks for the comment folks.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good heart-warming post Biker, the kid is very good and a chip off the old block. :)

Hope he keeps the bug, I always found it almost trance like working on a lathe, a great way to relax at the end of the day.

Biker

Thanks for these positive and encouraging replies. Paul's seen this thread and asked me to pass on thanks from him too. Naturally he's really proud of Oliver's achievement, he's hoping he'll come up with another project to do soon rather than leave it too long. Once he's decided on what it is I'll let you know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE