Tea in the field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Well, having had a read of the coffee thread, despite not drinking it (foul stuff :D), thought I should start a similar one on tea - I'm a big fan of tea, and curious how people drink it when they're out and about, and what sort of tea people like..

My brew of choice is Clipper Fairtrade Organic English Breakfast tea, drunk black (and fairly strong) with sugar when out and about (I don't tend to bother about taking milk). Also enjoy some nice Takaokaya Sen-cha green tea - which is the only decent tea-bagged green tea I've come across yet..

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Strictly green tea drunk by a stream with the gravel raked into interesting swirls...........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a tea jenny :eek:
I like loose tea and the mug filter from Nothing But Tea is the best thing since sliced bread. It's a really hand bit of kit, allows herbal teas when out too :cool:
http://www.nbtea.co.uk/acatalog/tea_accesories.html
Just now I'm drinking Black Dragon :) though I do like Lapsang Souchong when out.
Tea bags :eek: only for Lady Grey otherwise I sometimes use the fill your own re-useables. (same link but under personal teabags)

If I recommend nbtea it's because I use them and do happily recommend. But if someone buys from them instead of giving a referees name (it get thems sent free samples as a thank you) could they maybe just give the BcUK link? That way no Modding worries :)

cheers,
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I tend to only really drink tea when outdoors - I don't really drink it when at home or at work... think its one of those 'I'm working hard and need sustenance' kind of beverages.

I used to have a 'bombilla' - a tea straw:

Bombilla.jpg

But I've lost it - need to get myself a new one. Works really well and saves the faff of dealing with loose tea.

Quite often I drink chai (indian spiced tea) - which I make up myself - simply add the chai mix to cold water, stick in a pan and bring to the boil, then add lots of sugar and drink - delicious! :D

Oct 21, 2006
Birmingham
I did keep some instant QT in a leather pouch, but it really does taste minging!:eek:

I am going to get some desent tea and drink it black when out and about.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Tea bags :eek: only for Lady Grey otherwise I sometimes use the fill your own re-useables. (same link but under personal teabags)

The Twinings Chai teabags are pretty good - you can't beat a nice cup of Chai with milk and sugar (or even better, honey), and it's a bit of a guddle to make from scratch when you're out. I do really need to get some sort of loose-tea brewing device though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Bombilla.jpg[/img]

But I've lost it - need to get myself a new one. Works really well and saves the faff of dealing with loose tea.

D

Nbtea have a mate gourd and bombilla for £17.63 delivered. I've been eyeing it up for a bit but didn't know if that's a good price or not.
The gourd is a pretty cool mug anyway :rolleyes:
Gregorach I must have twenty different tea strainers of every type imaginable but that green one with gold mesh beats every of them hands down. Heck of a price difference between the two sites :eek: £4.70 vs £11.90 It even works on pasta if your doing small quanitites and it's brilliant for rosehips, no hairy problems :)

cheers,
Toddy

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
When I’m out and about I use instant QT - all it has in its favour is that it’s wet and warm; it may be an acquired taste but I doubt I will ever acquire it :( . At home it’s Co-op 99 (now Fairtrade) or occasionally, with a Japanese meal, Japanese green tea.

I miss the Co-op tea when I’m travelling but I don’t know of a way of carrying milk and keeping it fresh; powdered milk seems to taste the tea. Anyone solved that one?:confused:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I need to find a good coarse loose leaf traditional milk 'n' sugar type tea. I like a bit of green tea, but the only normal tea I can find in loose leaf is so fine it goes right through me strainer! That's no bloody good is it!

:rolleyes:

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
When I’m out and about I use instant QT - all it has in its favour is that it’s wet and warm; it may be an acquired taste but I doubt I will ever acquire it :( . At home it’s Co-op 99 (now Fairtrade) or occasionally, with a Japanese meal, Japanese green tea.

I miss the Co-op tea when I’m travelling but I don’t know of a way of carrying milk and keeping it fresh; powdered milk seems to taste the tea. Anyone solved that one?:confused:

I find it best to take it without moo juice Malcolm.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good old Yorkshire tea for me, although I probably drink more coffee when I`m out and about.

Like Matt though I`m quite partial to a Bovril now and then, so much so I name my cat after it.

Tea bags don`t bio-degrade by the way in case anybody didn`t know.

Rich

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I get my tea from a tea dealer in Dundee (Braithwaites I think)
When I'm out I drink green tea.
sometimes gunpowder green, or Japanese cherry.
I have the filter from NBT and a little ball on a chain.
The ball fits nicely in my tea tin.

as I've said before, If green tea was good enough for Nessmuck, it's good enough for me.
I prefer loose leaf to bagged tea.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've always drank Typhoo tea. Loose when at home but I take teabags out with me. Lately though I've come to favour Earl Grey. Lidl do a box of Earl Grey tea bags for 99p and they're not half bad for the money. I sometimes have a teabag of fruit tea sweetened with honey as well.

Don't like hot bovril, but an Oxo cube in hot water wi' a pinch of salt is nice on a cold day.

Eric

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot

Don't like hot bovril, but an Oxo cube in hot water wi' a pinch of salt is nice on a cold day.

Eric[/QUOTE]

aint tried it with salt but i add ground black pepper, makes a really warming brew.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Nbtea have a mate gourd and bombilla for £17.63 delivered. I've been eyeing it up for a bit but didn't know if that's a good price or not.
The gourd is a pretty cool mug anyway :rolleyes:
cheers,
Toddy

Thats not too bad - although there are some quite cheap ones on ebay - a lot of sellers in the US will deliver to the UK and since its a South American thing, they're quite cheap - e.g:

http://stores.ebay.com/AllTopBargai...W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ14312819QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Some places also sell just the straws.

As for chai, I mix all the spices at home and blend it up in a spice grinder, then just add a teaspoon's worth to whatever I'm boiling water in. Nice and simple. The recipe I've got is chai for 100 people though, so I've had to scale it back a bit! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE