Tatonka stove problem...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ParaWill

Oct 14, 2009
York
Hi guys, I've noticed a problem with my tatonka meths burner, and thought your expertise would be the first place to start!

The thing is, it's leaking meths... from somewhere. The lid is on, it's reasonably new and I've checked the o-ring. I've noticed that when I pick it up after I've not used it for a while it leaks. Now, I'm keeping it in a plastic bag, which does the trick of keeping nasty meths away from the rest of my brew kit - but it doesn't strike me as being ideal!

Anyway, hello to everyone, and thanks in advance for any help!

Will

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
ARe you suppose to leave meths in? I always burn the excess off.

Try filling it with water and se if you can locate the leak. I suspect the O ring really

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
The O-ring is usually the first and only thing to go wrong on any burner like this.
Most times it comes from screwing the lid on while the stove is still warm.
Another possible leak is at the junction of top and bottom, the potruding ring just below the thread. Here the two parts are simply pressed together.
Fill it with water and warp it in white paper tissue. Store it upright, bottom up, on the side etc.
You will quickly notice where it leaks.

ParaWill

Oct 14, 2009
York
Thanks guys, I'll certainly have a go testing a la Oetzi and let you know! Thanks for the suggestions.

As for carrying meths, I'm with Rik, why else would the o-ring be there? It's less stuff to carry on a day out.

Will

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE