Tatonka Burner question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
I'm making a westwinds inspired burner/pot stand and discovered that the tatonka burner is larger than the original trangia type.

As I intend to purchase one of these burners (after I get a license for IMS sorted :rolleyes: ). and would like to get it started (while I have the motivation :rolleyes: ) so could someone who has one tell me the difference in the sizes.

I've got it CAD'd up and even made a card model so I am desperate to get cutting metal
Any info. much appreciated.

leon-1

Here are a few measurements taken with calipers.

Height with flame adjuster; trangia 44mm / tatonka 56mm
Depth of fuel well ; trangia 26mm / tatonka 34mm
Diameter of fuel well external ; trangia 68mm / tatonka 68.2mm
Internal diameter of fuel well (where you light it) trangia 39mm / tatonka 36mm.

I would put down more, but I am too big a spotter as it is:D

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
bikething said:
AFAIK the only difference is the depth below the flange....

it´s a bit more than just hight & volume of the fuel chamber: number & size of jets
thermal conductivity of material (some infos: www.brasslite.com/about.html#primer scroll down to "Why Are Brasslite Stoves Made With Brass?")
performance
fuel consumption.

Yes, the Tatonka (well the one I´ve got) is way slower and needs far less fuel compared to my Trangia. It can be tuned by using some aluminum sheet inside the fuel chamber (kind of second wall to the existing st/st wall and reaching from the bottom of the fuel chamber about 3 -5 mm above the jet area - make sure not to block the 3 fuel ports at the bottom )

Btw, the Tatonka flame adjuster fits perfectly to the Swedisch Army burners.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
There are more differences than i posted.....

... but I thought i'd keep to the ones that might affect the design of the burner holder :p

I know Magikelly did a review of the clickstand where he pointed out that the tatonka was too tall and didn't sit in the stand as intended.

cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE