Tarps and sparks!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bobc

Jul 8, 2015
Yorkshire
Hi

I was just pondering over a tarp as a christmas present to myself and the thought of how other forum members cope with the sparks off open fires potentially burning holes in the tarps.
Obviously I'm not daft enough to build a fire directly under a tarp but when the sparks from a fire go up then seems to me they gotta come down and once having a fancy goretex coat burnt by a spark at a bonfire it got me thinking.
I had my mind on a dd tarp of some sort but dont want it to end up a sieve after the first fire
thanks for your thoughts
Bob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I OFTEN build a fire under a tarp or parachute shelter - most of my camps have the fire under shelter.
As long as you have the tarp set reasonably high then few sparks will reach it and I still use a huge tarp that is over 15 years old as a communal shelter over the fire - OK it has one or two tiny holes but none I can be bothered fixing as they are all tiny :)
I try and set the tarp at least 6' above the fire and do not have mad bonfires - just sensibly sized cooking/heating fires and have more problems with smoke holding than sparks and damage.
If you are really worried about spark damage get a canvas tarp - but DD tarps should be fine as long as your fires are not too big or full of spitting wood.
008 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I have had no issues either - I used to worry a lot about this when i first got my DD but have never had it holed. As long as you have a few feet between it and the fire you'll be fine.
Hope this helps
Phil

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I'd be far more concerned about making one too close to a thermal wall.

Holes in a tarp are to be displayed in the manner of campaign medals!

Bobc

Jul 8, 2015
Yorkshire
Thanks very much for your input guys

Maybe I'm over thinking the risk as long as im sensible with my fires

ATB
Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE