Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
now you'll get some opinions :D

DD tarps
true north
army surplus aussie/uk bashas
tatonka
decathlon

Almost down to a how big do you want and how much do you want to pay.

Cheers,

Alan

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
You have to ask a few questions first:

What size?
  • The general concensus is that 3m x 3m is about the right size to go for - big enough for a hammock with plenty of admin space and luxury if ground dwelling.
What material?
  • Polycotton is more fire friendly than more lightweight fabrics.
Plain or camo?
  • Camo - avoid issue basha if you intend to hammock IMHO it's too small.
  • USMCPro make a good 3m x 3m DPM tarp.
  • Plain - Tatonka or DD

Of course if you want real luxury go for the 4.5m x 4.5m Tatonka - it's a big beast!

HTH

Simon

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I got a Decathlon 3m x 3m tarp under £20. The only down side is that no ridge loops but i think Mesquite posted with some mods he'd done to his.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Sil-Tarp by Integral Designs. Bomber, light, super compressible into small package and did I mention light? (but they are pricey)

Or make your own from silicone impregnated nylon.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Kathmandu made amazing light weight tarps, in various sizes, sim material to the golite hex 3. But sadly no more, but if you see one on the bay snap it up if thats your thing. very reasonable prices they were too.

For a natural one, try making your own out of a cotton bed sheet, theres a good thread on here somewhere :D

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
im perfectly happy with my british army basha. its about 2 x 3m (cant remember exactly) and is big enough for me, it seemed huge when i first got it having used 58 ponchos back when i first joined army cadets. it is very strong and is re-enforced with webbing around the edge and across the ridge. it has lots of eyes aswell as loops and also has handles on the edge and ridge which can be used as an emergency strecher (hopefully il never need to use them!)
iv only ever slept on the ground so im not sure if it would be big enough for a hammock.

pete

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Whats the concensus whats the best tarp about???

The one that keeps you dry :D

Decathlon, as in the fishing and outdoor shops that are all over spain?

Decathlon have a number of stores around England, don't know about Spain.
I got a Decathlon 3m x 3m tarp under £20. The only down side is that no ridge loops but i think Mesquite posted with some mods he'd done to his.

Decathlons Tarp is very good value and as Andy said I did some Pimping of my Tarp and now it's even better :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE