Tarp slagging off on outdoors forums

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Hey Gary...

D'ye think it makes much difference re: snoring?;)

I'm Glad you sound like me as does oor Gill it's comforting in trying to get over... :lmao:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm sure it's a discussion that's been had many times and personally I feel it really boils down to personal preference, and perhaps in extreme cases, environment

To be fair that depends how you set it up, a tarp makes an excellent wind- and rain-proof shelter if set appropriately.

So does my go-lite during summer up here and the nest more than doubles the weight.

Tarps like tents require practice to get quick set-up times, tents are often easierto learn - no odd knots needed - but a tarp is more flexible.

True, it can be but to match the weight and fuctionality you can easily spend a lot more money on a tent. My £30 tarp, £20 net, £7 mat weighs less than a kilo, and has kept me warm and dry in all weather - with an appropriate configuration.

Sometimes, but then they're not as stuffy as most tents.

Sometimes, but the tarp I've used most in the last 2 - 3 years cost me £30.

Ah but a nice windbreak configuration with an open fire is even more fun ;-)

There's no reason why it shouldn't, if you use a configuration that suits the situation.

Walking sticks are dual-purpose and do the job just as well. With tents you do need a nice flat area to pitch.

On a recent trip to Harris (not many trees), I was only one using a tarp and was the only one that stayed dry.

Whaddya mean? Vango do a lovely Olive green ;-)

Not in the least - live and let lie in is what I say, but newcomers and the curious deserve to know there are perfectly viable alternatives.

I should also add I bought the go-lite after seeing your many Hex3 pics.

Vive la difference :beerchug:

Andy, I'm playing devils advocate here really, tarps are fine but my reply was not the best, and reading it again its not as tongue in cheek as was meant. The bottom line is use what you like but overall tarps are just not as strong as a tent, if they were that good they would be using them on Everest, they do limit you really to woodland camping even with walking poles they are a low structure, they are open more to the elements and not as warm, dry and cozy as a tent. I love my Golite but sad to say my back and knee problems mean I can't really get in and out of it these days and so stick to the Juno 800 and look forward to trying the Green tee (or is it Tee green) 500 I just got.

One major issue I have with the whole camping style of bushcraft is so many people limit themselves to camping in the woods (not all but certainly the majority) and miss out of some stunning countryside. Go winter camping up in the Glyder's of Snowdonia, sit in the porch of your tent (you don't want to be in a tarp there really in winter) and let the view flood over you, get out of the woodland camping only mind set and enjoy life that bit more.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You really do post the most unbridled cr*p sometimes, Richard! :?

Meant every word Ian :)

I'm bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bloody bored, fed up, peed off, I'm off to play backgammon on line and giving some foreign Jonny a dam good thrashing to break the monotony. Good job the cats dead or it would get a kicking just now :(

I'm going to flog all my stoves, all my camping gear and take up another hobby, bored with it all, I've hit the boredom threshold so to speak today, 28th July 2010 at 9:20; had a breast full, need to move on.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Switch off your pc for a day or three and do something else. Its all too easy for your pc to become a sort of interactive idiots' lantern - the whole world wide web out there and nothing worth looking at...
Put on your coat a go for a stroll.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Meant every word Ian :)

I'm bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bloody bored, fed up, peed off, I'm off to play backgammon on line and giving some foreign Jonny a dam good thrashing to break the monotony. Good job the cats dead or it would get a kicking just now :(

I'm going to flog all my stoves, all my camping gear and take up another hobby, bored with it all, I've hit the boredom threshold so to speak today, 28th July 2010 at 9:20; had a breast full, need to move on.

Take a look at these...

IMG_0164.jpg

P1010150.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

That's what it's all about...

Not this...

IMAGE_017.jpg

or this....

chateauxswarbrick.jpg

Cheer up

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
At the moot I'll be using a tarp and a tent,not that I'm sitting on the fence mind.I like the tarp for the openness and I like the tent for the sleep away from bugs.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It isn't a big deal which was why the comments against Richard were so unnecessary and IMHO downright rude.

Taking and standing in a postion against the majority isn't a place where insults should be thrown, grown-ups should know that.

I spend less time on here nowadays as a direct result of this kind of sniping. I read this thread becuase I saw the title and that Rik had posted - I knew what he was going to say and it brought a wry smile, for a moment.......

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
For me it's simple. I go outdoors to be outdoors.

Wrapping myself in a nylon bag, with or without poles, just doesn't do it for me.

My pyramid tarp suits me because I can set it up as a tarp or if I really need it in atrocious conditions, a tent.

But I'm very clear about what my preference is.

Considering no-one here can even agree what "bushcraft" actually is I simply cannot imagine what is or isn't "bushy"

This seems to be an accusation levelled at anything that has gained a level of popularity amongst members of this forum. Usually it comes from people that claim to be more "bushcrafty" than "armchairy". (Again I just don't get that kind of distinction coming from people who, just like the rest of us, obviously spend a lot of time sitting in front of a computer screen.)

I have picked up lots of stuff based on recommendations on this forum. Some of it I didn't get on with and passed on, lots of it has lived up to it's reputation and become valued pieces of equipment though.

If that means I fall into the "Bushcraft uniform" camp so be it, but I'll challenge anybody that accuses me of "having all the gear and no idea," which is another stock phrase that so often comes from the "More bushcrafty than thou" brigade.

I've said it many times here, I'm not a "bushcrafter" in fact I don't fit into anyone's pigeon hole without a great deal of brute force. But I do get fed up of people telling me what is or isn't "bushcrafty"

here, here, i totally agree with that wayland well said!

Dave

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
It's a tarp for me every time if I have a choice.

I paddled around the Moidart in Scotland some years ago and this is how I slept.
voyageur017.jpg

Granted a head net was required but the breeze generally kept the midges away and also allowed the escape of CO2 which doesn't happen in a tent.

The following year whilst on the Caledonian Canal I had made myself a no-see-um nest for under the tarp. That was luxury.
calcanal06.jpg

mikewilkinson

Apr 28, 2010
Blackrod, Bolton
Gotta say, as much as tents are good, comfy and make a great base camp, I don't find them pratical for being on the move in varying terrain. With the Tarp I can pretty much camp anywhere, combo'd with a hammock it can be setup in woodland on slopes and inclines, used with walking poles/sticks and a bivvy bag can be used up above the treeline no problems. I use a 3mx3m tarp and can rig it as a quick brew shelter or mini teepee, can rig it as a pyramid tarp, wedge shelter, low storm shelter, the configurations are endless and "tarpology" can be a fun exercise to do just to see what can be done.

Love your sentiments Wayland, and many thanks for your Ravenlore site, very inspiring and informative.

For me Bushcraft is getting outdoors and enjoying what nature has to offer. Don't care much how you go about that, just as long as you enjoy it with destroying it. It is not about what you carry or what knowledge you have but how you apply yourself to get the most out of the experiance. My three year old daughter loves to play name the trees and will run around for ages touching trees and shouting out their names (right or wrong) but the fun she gets out of that makes her infinitely more 'crafty' than me as she can make a lot out of a little knowledge.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I like both, can't understand why anyone would have a problem with either. Even a bin liner has it's merits as a shelter.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i couldn't give two shakes whats bushy and what isn't but i know whats comfy, i have both tarp and tent, i've used both happily, they both have pro's and cons tbh.
i've woken up with condensation in both my tent and my tarp yet i've woken up with them both bone dry too (go figure)
suffice to say in all weathers i'm happy in either!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE